1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto lock with keys inside?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by luvwaltzn, Dec 22, 2010.

1. luvwaltzn

luvwaltzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2008 Prius, but my parents have a 2010 Prius. One thing they noticed (and I just ran into myself) is that if they leave the key in the car (for example when it is parked in the garage), the car will still auto-lock. (Good thing I had AAA)

My own prius does not do that and will not lock if the fob is in the car, but my parent's prius does.

Is this a setting? I tried to search online but couldn't find anyone with the same situation...

Thanks!

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I was curious and just tested mine. If the key is in the car (both front seat and hatch) I can't lock the car. Long whistle tone. I do have a IV with the front and hatch door handle sensors. Since auto-lock occurs if you unlock a locked car but then don't open a door......I'm not sure how it could have been locked in the first place. Can you shed any light on the specifics?

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something's wrong. Take the car to the dealer.

My Prius will NOT lock if the fob is inside the car and I am not. My car autolocks if I've started the car and shift into forward gear.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As many times as my wife has tried to leave her pocketbook in my car with the other fob inside, the car has never locked. It will beep continously and disply Key Detected in Vehicle.

If your parent's car is locking with the keys inside, something is definitely wrong. The auto-lock and unlock feature is a configurable setting but none of the options allows you to auto-lock the car in park.

Several people have written posts complaining about not being able to lock their fob in the car !

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have found that my key fob has some issues with my cell phone - if they are both in the same pocket often times the car will not recognize the key being present. To me it is not a big deal so I have not investigated.

Could your folks have had a phone or something else near the key that might have interfered with the fob's signal?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    response deleted

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could this be the auto-lock that occurs when the vehicle is remotely unlocked from the outside, then after a period of time where none of the doors are actually opened, it automatically relocks itself?

Of course, this would only work when one of the fobs is not inside the car.

8. WinterGrayM

WinterGrayM New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I recently had my iphone4/keyfob in same pocket, I was in the driver seat pushing the button and the dash was telling me not detected.. i was like Wth? i felt my pocket and noticed i had my iphone in it. so i pulled it out and set it to the side and was able to start the car.. weird lol

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not weird. They are both RF devices, and as such, it's not too surprising that the transmitter in your cell phone can swamp the electronics in the fob. The owner's manual for the Prius advises that cell phones and fobs should be kept apart.

Tom

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not to mention that phones contain a lot of metal, which might prevent the fob from detecting the car or vice versa. It might have very little to do with the transmitter, which is almost always off (if it weren't, you'd be lucky if your phone's battery lasted an hour!).

11. CynAmun

CynAmun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I've been wearing gloves, I've started using the lock/unlock button on the inside door. I've been worried that it would let me lock my purse in the car. I'm trying to get back in the habit of using the outside door handle.

12. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same here????

13. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed mine autolocks when I am washing it with the key nearby. I back the car out of the garage, park it, put the key on a stand in the garage then procede to was the car. I can hear the door lock and then unlock then relock again over a period of 5 minutes or so.

14. LatteDrinkingLiberal

LatteDrinkingLiberal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Page 50 of the owner's manual: The doors may lock and unlock if a large amount of water splashes on the door handle, such as in the rain or in a car wash when the electronic key is in the effective range. (The doors will automatically be locked after approximately 60 seconds if the doors are not opened or closed.)

If the key is kept near the vehicle while it is being washed, water applied to a door handle may cause the door to lock and unlock repeatedly. On this event, place the key 6 feet or more from the vehicle taking care not to lose the key.

It goes on with more information on locking and unlocking on page 51.

15. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's just amazing what's in the owner's manual! I always keep the key in my pocket while washing my car. Of course, it locks/unlocks several times while washing. Used to drive me nuts until I took the time to read it for myself.

The manual has so much information, it's hard to take it all in in just a read or two.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

16. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what is "near"? when I was it I keep the key on a stand about 10 feet from the front of the car and it still does the lock/unlock. next time I wash it, I'll move the key further.

humm could it be the key is new, 4 months old, and the battery is fresher/stronger?

17. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Geese,
    My ex left her key in her purse inside the car. It squealed like a stuck pig until she removed it. It would NOT lock.
    In the winter, I use a "touchless" carwash, I'm in the car while it's washed, I've never heard the locks engage or disengage while in the car. And it's COLD in Wisconsin. I do use silicon spray and WD40 on the mechanisms. Maybe that makes a differance.
    Is mine unique?

18. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The car knows the difference between the fob being inside and outside the car. When it's inside, the outside door locks don't function. So next time you go to the touchless car wash, stand next to the car while it's being washed, and you'll see that it locks. :D :rain:

19. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is 3 ways to lock the keys in the car, that i have seen. 1 if you get the fob in just the right place inside,it will intermittantly not be detected,close the door in the locked position. 2 interferance, phones/rf scaners in shops a few meters away/ some types of wireless security cams. 3 12v battery flat and you jump it under the bonnet.the vehicle may auto lock.

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Don't worry about it. If you lock the door using the lock button on the inside, as soon as you close the door it will unlock if the FOB is inside. But it's never a good idea to leave a key inside the car whether it's running or not. You're gifting the car to anyone standing around. It's the most common "car theft" scenario. Oh, and you can be charged if your car is stolen if you do that. Including responsibility for whatever happens (deaths, damage, injury, etc). AND your insurance will not cover you!