1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto locksmith added replacement key fob, now HSI displays weirdly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KFBR392, Jun 6, 2021.

1. KFBR392

KFBR392 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recently bought a 2015 Prius Two. 62k miles on it. Got it inspected at our local dealership service dept. before buying and they said it was in impeccable condition. It came with two key fobs and it never occurred to me to check both of them for some reason. One of them doesn't work and replacing the fob battery did nothing.

I contacted an auto locksmith who said they could do it for half the price of the dealer. After replacing and programming the fob, he said it worked and handed it to me. It unlocked the car but wouldn't lock it. I pointed this out and he tried again. He said it was fixed and I got in the car and saw the "check hybrid system" message. I pointed this out and he apologized and went to his van to get a different module. (Before he was using something handheld, this 2nd system was more like a briefcase.) After about 10 minutes he said everything was fixed. I tested both key fobs, started the car, and everything worked so I paid and went on my way.

I've driven it a few times since and it drives the same and I'm getting good MPG. But I noticed tonight two odd things on the display:

1. When I accelerate from a stop, the progress bar on the hybrid system indicator doesn't grow from nothing but is more binary. When I hit the gas it appears halfway across instantly. It goes from nothing to filling up the entire left half to the line line under "eco." If I'm rolling and hit the gas the bar will grow and shrink normally.

2. The MPG estimator is also more binary. Instead of fluctuating up and down constantly it's either nothing or 100mpg. It doesn't sit in the middle like it used to when I'm using moderate power.

When I turn the vehicle off, the display that shows my estimated MPG for the trip has been averaging 50+ consistently and I haven't noticed anything funky besides those two things.

My questions are, basically:

1. Should I be worried?

2. What's my best course of action?

I'm hesitant to take it back to the locksmith since he possibly messed it up and at this point it's a car/computer problem not a key issue. The safest thing would probably be to take it back to the dealership service dept. and have them inspect/run some diagnostic tests or something. Any tips are very much appreciated.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PC.
    It sounds like you had it in ECO mode and the locksmith put it in PWR mode.