1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-on Headlights: Why didn't my Prius have it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aaron, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just bought a 2008 Prius Touring with Package #5 (NM) and noticed it didn't come with the auto-on headlights. I thought mine was FULLY LOADED but, without leather?? Is this an additional option?

I love this car, but just thought it should have this since it has everything else.

Also, my dealer offered me a sunroof for a $1000. I was taken back b/c I didn't know dealers offered such options on the Prius and I read on this forum that people were getting this after-market only and their dealer didn't offer this.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As far as I can tell from Toyota's web site, auto-on headlights are not available on the Prius. They certainly weren't in 2006 or before.

As for the sunroof, that isn't a Toyota option. Some dealers work with aftermarket installers to put in a sunroof.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Auto headlights are offered in Canada but not the U.S.. Canadian models also have daytime running lights, but you cannot get the HID headlamps in Canada.

There is no factory sunroof option for the Prius, only after-market.

Tom

4. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ok, good. I thought I got cheated out of my auto-headlights:rolleyes:

5. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For North America, auto headlights are only available for Pruis in Canada, and I believe that they are standard. That is because Canada mandates the installation and use of daytime running lamps with the requirement that there be a telltale or automatic switching to headlamps, so that drivers do not use DRLs into the night. Because DRLs are not mandatory in the U.S. and because they use energy that reduces the EPA mileage rating, I am presuming that Toyota chose to not include DRLs on the Prius, contrary to installing them on almost every other vehicle that it sells in North America.

So, there you go, lower cost and higher fuel efficiency appear to be the reasons that we don't get it. I have it on my Expedition (even though it does not have DRLs) and it sure a convenience. If we had DLRs, though, it would be an important safety feature to assure that we see well into the night.

And, as just stated above, we get to choose HIDs instead of halogen, and for the industrious, we can add DRLs too.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err... DRLs do NOT require automatic headlights. Just look at the Corolla, Matrix, Civic, fortwo, Yaris, Fit, Aveo, Aveo5, Wave, Accent, Elantra, CSX, TSX etc etc etc. They all don't have automatic headlights.

cause you're not Canadian, eh? ;)

7. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't beat that answer, eh!

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahahaha.

Yes you're right although so far, I've only seen Hondas (Canadian spec) that have a "DRL" button illuminated in yellow and I think that's on older Hondas.

Up here, we have a "taillight on" indicator vs. your "headlight on" indicator that you guys have.

Our "taillight on" indicator looks like to eyes with long eyelashes back-to-back against each other. Your "headlight on" indicator is just a bulb with "light" streaks coming out of it. Hope that made sense.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The above posters are correct that the US cars don't have auto headlamps. However, if you leave the headlamp switch on, the headlamps will go off when you exit the car (open drivers door!!) and on when you next switch the car on. So you get, "sort of" "auto" headlamps. Be warned, if you stop the car but don't open the drivers door, the headlamps will not go out, and you can quickly drain the 12V battery.

The Canadian auto on headlamps turn on the DRLs when you start the car and release the parking brake. When it is or gets dark, first the dash lights come on, then the headlamps as it gets darker. And if it gets light again, they both go out (again staged as above). For example, in my garage it's dark and the headlamps come on when I start the car. When I back out, after a short delay, the headlamps go out and the DRL function comes on (in the daylight, of course ;) ).

markwilson66 likes this.
  10. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey Tideland, ever go on BC Ferries for small runs like to Gabriola? After the car is off the headlights stay on unless I open the car door. One time at night I didn't notice they were on and the ferry crew told me to turn them off. I was like, buh! how? The whole deck was dark except for my headlights. It was late. Kind of embarrassing.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be "Auto-Off" headlights which a number of cars do have as a makeshift full auto headlights.

Yeah the benefit of auto headlights on the Prius is, say you drive through a dense tree-lined road or stop under a bridge. The lights will come on but the instrument panel will stay in daylight mode (so it doesn't dim). Ditto if you decide to run the parking lights or full headlights manually during the day, the instrument panels stay in daytime mode until it gets dark or you enter a covered/underground parking lot. Smart!

Nope, haven't took the car across the strait yet. I haven't even taken it to the Okanagan as we've did with every single car we've owned.

That's one annoying thing about the Prius - the OFF function is tied to the driver's door. Cheaper to install but annoying. With the Camry, it's tied to a timer so it shuts off after 30 secs (or press lock on the fob after you lock the car shuts it off manually). My bro managed to drain the battery that way when he was cleaning the car in the garage. He entered/exited by the passenger side.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd MUCH rather have the HID headlights than the auto-on feature any day! Even if they are $330 to replace:mad:

BTW...I just got my Prius 3 days ago and I'm already seeing people starting to hate me. I drive normally off the line no different than I did when I owned an SUV. I now have SUVs and sports cars race around me at traffic lights only to get stopped at the next traffic light at which I pull up beside them and give them a "glare" and laugh. I think they see PRIUS on the back of my car and assume that I'm slow?

Why do people "race" to red lights?? I just don't get it.:second:

13. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Idiots, that's what they are. Big vehicles zip past me all the time, within yards of a red light, burning gas so that they can come to a dead stop, while I'm still moving by the time the light changes and all the cars are in motion again. I make sure not to hold up traffic that may want to turn off before the light and if its a single lane I don't glide as much as I like so I'm NOT being extra annoying. It's like they are only looking 50 ft out in front of them.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Yeah.. and I P&G with a early 90s C/K1500 pickup and no one cares.

15. ktoley

ktoley New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello posters,

I purchased my car in the US, and it has the DRL and automatic headlight feature that is until the lights burned out. When I took my car into the dealer to be serviced they replaced the headlights and now The DRLs and the automatic headlights feature is not working. The mechanic at the dealership claims he could not find the fuse, and that the sensor on the dash is only for the AC, but there are two sensors on the dash and I used this feature for months in the auto mode. (It's only after it stopped working that I discovered that was a difference between the US and Canadian versions of the same car.)

I suppose I somehow got one of the 08 Prius that was bound for Canada but the purchase records for the car are for a US model and don't say anything about the DRLs so the mechanics have been giving me the run around and claiming the feature simply does not exist. (There are two sensors above the dash clearly visible, not one, and I did not imagine using this feature for months and months.)

I read a forum post a long time ago that suggested the light bulbs in the Canadian Pruis supported a low beam setting that is used for the DRLs but I have not been able to find that post or much about how the feature actually works.

My question is, does the Canadian Prius require a specific type of bulb that supports the low DRL setting or is it controlled by a specific switch or fuse that the shop in the US just is not aware of? I figure when they replaced my lights they used what ever standard parts and procedure they would have done for any US car and thus the feature is not supported with the bulbs they used, or they disabled it some how.

I would love to get this feature restored but it's clear I need to point them in the right direction.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

-Ken

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no difference in bulb type. They're interchangeable between countries. Do a quick search for importing a Prius into Canada. There you might find some information on DRL mods (Since US Prius models didn't come with DRLs) and perhaps you might be able to find some information on how DRL is activated in Canada.

17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there any way to add the "Auto Light" feature to the US spec Prius?

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you suspect you have a Canadian Prius the easiest way to check is check the odometer. It should read in km if it's Canadian, and miles if American. It doesn't switch back and forth with the dash switch.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm kind of suprised Toyota doesn't offer auto headlights standard on all The Prius. It is their signature, benchmark technological car. I'm currently driving a rental Toyota Corolla LE, which is nice but far from cutting edge in any category and yet it has auto headlights. Just seems wrong that a relatively basic Corolla should have "technology" a Prius is missing. Also, seems to me the feature would be relatively cheap and easy to add.

20. chrisengst

chrisengst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assume it is to save electricity and therefore gas. Does anyone know how much leaving headlights on as my Corolla does costs in mpg?