1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Page Reload with Firefox

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by efusco, Jul 26, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a true Firefox believer and use it everywhere I can. However I don't have that option at work where only the system admin can add new programs and Firefox is not allowed (ya ever notice how going from tabbed browsing to multiple windows browsing is sorta like going from SKS driving to a mechanical key?).

Anyway, one feature of IE that I do like at work is that when I'm surfing PriusChat and I hit "view posts since last visit", then click on a thread, read the posts and then hit the 'Back' button that the list of 'new posts' is automatically updated. Any additional new posts that appeared while I was reading the post show up and the recently read post is gone from the list. In other words, just by hitting the back button I get the same effect as if I'd hit the 'view posts since last visit' link (which is not available within individual threads).

Does anyone know if/how that same feature can be turned on in Firefox?

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Evan,

Try this:

In Firefox, enter this into the URL bar - about:config

When the about:config page has loaded, search for the line whose "Preference Name" is browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

The number in the "Value" column gives the setting you want...
    0 = Once per session
    1 = Every time
    2 = Never
    3 = Automatically

The default is 3. To change the setting, right-click on the line and choose "Modify" from the pop-up menu.

(Try setting to "1", so it checks the page every time it's loaded). On slow connections like dialup, this may make things unacceptably slow, however if you have a broadband connection, you shouldn't notice much difference.

Dave

3. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can't install programs at work? No problem!
    You don't need to "install" Firefox to use Firefox.

Run "PortableFirefox" off a CD or a USB drive:
    http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for the suggestions:
    DaveG-I successfully changed that setting for frequency check from the default of 3 to 1. But it doesn't work with just the back button unfortunately. Thus I'm still open to any other suggestions.

wrprice-had no idea that portable firefox existed. I put it on my USB drive, imported my bookmarks, and will try it out at work on Thursday night. It'll still be a pain to haul around, but a great suggestion non-the-less. I'd seen the commercial USB drives with Netscape and nearly bought one about a year ago, but just couldn't swallow the cost. If this works well I may have to invest in a bigger USB drive (just got a 256 KB now).

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The best would be for Danny to have that page specify HTTP header of no-cache to all browsers so hitting back would refresh.

Next best would be to have a javascript set on that page that would cause all browsers to refresh if they 'back' to it.

After that is maybe turn off caching in Firefox, but that would just slow downloading of all PriusChat pages, which are already nice person.

In fact, I'm not sure which browser is performing the correct behavior here actually, although I lean more toward Firefox being more technically 'correct' by not refreshing.

So sorry, no help here.

Since I never use IE these days except for certain pages at work, I never knew there was such a 'feature' I was missing. :)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously I've lived without it for almost 2 year, but figured I'd ask to see if there was an easy fix. It's not a big deal, but it is nice having the page refresh/update every time I got to it.

7. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Does hitting the F5 key accomplish what you want?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla\";p=\"110711)</div>
    No, that just seems to reload the current page.

What I want is to go from viewing a thread, hit the "back" button to return to the "new posts" page and have it refresh automatically. I can hit the back button, then manually hit refresh, but that's 2 clicks, and I'm WAY too lazy to do that! :roll:

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So how do you read PriusChat?

Efusco, it sounds like you read page to page back and forth from the new-posts page?

Because PriusChat is soo slow, I use tabs and middle-click every interesting thread on the new-posts page. By the time I done with selecting threads the posts have loaded. I just then read tab to tab, and use the 'close-window' mouse-gesture to close each tab. Then, I just refresh the new-posts page/tab and start over.

10. v.jones

v.jones New Member

Sorry to disagree, but IMHO, best would be for Danny to speed up PriusChat to the point where it would actually be useable as it is intended to be used, rather than forcing all sorts of workarounds to get around the 10 second (on a good day) to 60 second page refreshes :cussing: .

Vince

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's warning/solution for those of you that use Firefox and the FasterFox plug-in with the Enhanced Prefetching option turned-on. Prefetching basically loads some of the links on a page you're still reading so that your next click will have already mostly loaded.

The danger of this is it triggers the 20-second search-flood limiter of PriusChat's Invision Board software when you're innocently just clicking the back-or-forward button, or some other navigation button.

So, if you see this 20-second flood warning a lot, turn off prefetching.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Is there a way to limit how far ahead you pre-fetch?

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I use firefox and I have no problem with the view new posts updating automatically.