1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Sound Leveling - ASL problem

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by SinisterSpatula, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SinisterSpatula

SinisterSpatula Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've turned off Auto Sound Leveling in the C2 factory radio settings menu, yet I am still hearing the volume being auto leveled still.

The leveling I'm hearing is strange, it's not the type that increases volume as vehicle speed increases. (I've turned that setting off in the menu), yet I can be parked or stopped at a light and I am noticing that there is still sound leveling taking place in my music. During quiet parts of the song it raises up the volume and during loud parts it lowers it. I listen to dance music which has many peaks and valleys and it supposed to sound that way from quiet to loud so it's really frustrating that it is still applying some volume leveling to my music even though I have ASL turned OFF. Is there anything I can do to disable it? Would the dealer be able to change it as a hidden setting or something? I don't want to have to replace the factory radio, I rather like it -other than this problem-.

2. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Are you playing the music from a device? If so, have you checked that the device itself doesn't have a setting that does this? An old mp3 player of mine had a bunch of equalizing settings, some of which probably did what you describe.

I haven't seen/heard of this function even being available on the car stereo itself (as you said, it's not the type of leveling you expect from the ASL in the car), but that's not to say with certainty that it doesn't exist. I'm sure there are a lot of little functions I still don't know about.

3. SinisterSpatula

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm playing MP3's from a USB stick plugged into the dash (not a separate player just a thumb drive Sandisk cruiser). I play back the same songs on a PC and do not see the same sound leveling happening (it sounds how it should, no leveling). The mp3's were all made from the same source (my favorite internet radio station) and they don't do any leveling that I can notice on that station.

4. dschreiberjr

dschreiberjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've noticed sonic differences that appear to make it louder when listening to the radio (FM). It's usually the HD Radio being picked up and then an automatic EQ setting turns on. I find that terribly annoying, but could be a cause if it's happening with the radio. I don't play music from a USB drive, only from my phone's bluetooth.

I am actually having the opposite problem. I can't get the ASL to work no matter which setting is chosen. I'd love for it to work, but it might be something goofy going on with a phone playing over bluetooth. If it is working, I can't notice a difference.

Could it be EQ settings being switched? Did the OP ever find a solution?

5. twblalock

twblalock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In my experience this happens because the car has bad reception and HD radio comes in and out. Perhaps there is a better antenna available?

6. SinisterSpatula

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Doubt it's the antenna reception, as I said I was playing back MP3's from USB and it was still applying sound volume leveling to my music. I never did find a solution, I think it's just the way it is with the stock radio. I replaced my radio with a pioneer AVH-X3500BHS and have not had any problems with auto-volume leveling what-so-ever. I believe it is the factory radio that is trying to prevent loud sounds from exposing just how bad the factory speakers are (to prevent distortion) is my guess.