1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Tech: Subaru’s PZEV Vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many acronyms used when automobile manufacturers start talking about emissions levels. LEVs, or Low Emission Vehicles, are making way for ULEV (Ultra LEV) and even SULEV (Super Ultra LEV). The ultimate in low emissions is a ZEV, Zero Emissions Vehicle, of which really only electric vehicles fit this category.

However, some critics say that electric vehicles only change the source of the emissions to the electricity-generating power plant instead of the vehicle. Very close to ZEV in emissions levels, but without needing to be plugged in, are PZEV, or Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. They offer the best rating possible for a gasoline powered vehicle and may be what many vehicles will be like in the future.

CanadianDriver Green Technology Auto Tech: Subaru's PZEV vehicles

1 person likes this.
  2. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So... best solution would be a hybrid engine in which the ICE is PZEV compliant?

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes - you know - kind like the one in the Prius which is a AT-PZEV. The Honda Civic Hybrid and Insight are also AT-PZEVs, I'm sure that other Toyotas hybrids are AT-PZEVs, too.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I now have an article, other than Wikipedia, to link to.

I still know people wanting to buy huge SUV's, and would rather pay for an Infiniti than a Toyota Tundra Hybrid, because the Infiniti has better luxury.

So maybe I can get them to turn to Subaru for their SUV fetish and get a PZEV muffler system.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately the PZEV models are base models only.