1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto tilt mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bobc, Apr 25, 2007.

1. bobc

bobc New Member

I'm FINALLY going to get around this coming weekend to installing the JDM auto tilit module that I bought two years ago via Sigma Automotive...

I've searched the archives and couldn't find any beta on anyone doing this.. Naterprius, who got his a week before I did gave it a try..

Nate, did you ever get yours figured out? I remember that you ended up frying yours. What was the end result for you?

I've been sitting here comparing the JDM pix, namely the page with the diagram and pin numbers on it to my wiring diagrams downloaded from Toyota tech info. It seems that the wiring harnesses and connections called for in the JDM manual are the same as the NA ones. But, it doesn't look like the pins are the same. This is kinda strange, considering the taps for the LED's on the signal mirrors called for in the JDM manual are identical to the NA wires/pins...

Anybody do this or can point me towards some info? Nothing comes up in Google either....

Cheers,

2. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds interesting, glad you have the guts to take the plunge on this project. I'll be looking forward to the results. Good luck!

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm curious about this as well. I was looking at that part recently, and if the install isn't too much of a nightmare I think I'll go for it.

4. bobc

bobc New Member

Just bumping this thread...

Hoping naterprius finds it (His PM is off)....

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH has been trying like hell to grab the occasional 06 prius that comes in to figure this out for another PC member. unfortunately there aren't any 06s on the lot anymore so he's stuck tinkering with any 06 that comes through that happens to have an extra few minutes before the owner picks it up while he also has a few spare minutes.

going is slow at that rate, and we feel bad for taking so much time on it. so if we could collaborate we could all benefit. when DH is awake tomorrow i will get him to list what he knows so far. i know he was trying to figure out the pins that were different, and where to tap for 12v power and backup signal. i don't recall what else he had said.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've paged Nate for you, Bob.

And while we're here. How does this all tie in with the auto-fold?

7. bobc

bobc New Member

Galaxee,

Good idea on the collaboration. Here's what I know so far:

The JDM auto-tilt module only works on the pasenger's side mirror. When the car is put in reverse, that mirror tilts down to see the curb.

As for the wiring, it does seem that the JDM wires/pins are out of synch with the NA ones.

(Oh crap, the formating went away when I hit the "Add post button." I'll redo this post in a Word doc and re-post it without the photos)

Here's my first stab at how the wires should be hooked up.

JDM Auto-tilt module NA Prius
    Pin # Description Wire color Connector Pin # Wire color
    1 Motor+ (To motor) R-Y (Connector B) IL1 2 G
    2 Motor Vertical (From control pad) W-R (Connector C) IL1 3 V
    3 Motor Vertical (To motor) Orange (Connector B) IL1 3 V
    5 Motor Horiz. (From control pad) B (Connector C) IL1 11 Y
    6 Motor Horiz. (To motor) B-W (Connector B) IL1 11 Y
    8 +B (Constant power for memory) R (Connectors B+C) ?? See notes below
    9 Motor + (From control pad) G-Y (Connector C) IL1 2 G
    12 Reverse R-G (Connector E) IF1 6 R
    14 Ignition (Power for module) Y (Connector D) ??? See notes below
    16 Ground BK (Connector F) No brainer

This is all based on the wiring diagram included with the module and the 2005 wiring diagram downloaded from Toyota Tech Info for the Remote Control Mirror (pg. 316) and the Back-Up Light (pg. 186).

I've looked at the wire colors in the JDM harness and also Babled the colors to confirm the colors as per the JDM wiring diagram.

The JDM tap for the Reverse calls for tapping into the #3 pin of an 11 pin connector. In the NA Prius, it's the #6 pin of the 11 pin connector IF1. I can verify that this is correct as I have already tapped into the back-up wire for another mod.

The JDM +B wire which provides constant power for the module should connect to some wire in the NA IL1 connector. I've looked around to see what else runs through this NA connector that has constant power. Here's some possibilities:

Door courtesy light: IL1 pin #18 (Light Blue) or #17 (Red)
    Door courtesy switch: IL1 pin #4 (Yellow)
    The mirror heaters also run through IL1 but there's no constant power in these.

As for the JDM Ignition tap, it calls for tapping into a 22 pin connector. There is no 22 pin connector on the pasenger's side. It calls for tapping into an Orange wire. So, not sure where to tap in for Ignition power. There are wires that are energized on the passenger's side of the car when the car is on (As I found out with a voltmeter) but I'm hesitant to tap into these when I don't know where they go to and if they are sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

So, on the JDM harness, the following pins need to be changed on Connectors B and C:

Currently Change to
    4 2
    5 3
    6 11

The unknown is what other wire to tap into in the IL1 connector for +B power and where to tap into for the Ignition power on the passenger's side.

That's what I know. I hope that there's no typos with regards to wire colors, pin #'s, etc. in here but please add your thoughts.

I've included a scanned image of the JDM wiring diagram. And, while I'm hesitant to post Toyota wiring diagrams online, I feel comfortable posting this one for discussion purposes.

The other thing that I don't know is what DH stands for Galaxee. I've seen your posts all over with this "DH". I've thought it about several times but can't seem to figure it out (Plus, it's not in the Toyota Repair Manual). "Devoted Husband"? "Designated Hubby?" "Dazzling Hunk"????

Oh, Darell, this mod is something completely different. It's a mod that just taps into existing wires inside the car to sense when the car is in reverse. And, the module commandeers the wires running from the mirror control pad on the driver's door to the passenger's mirror. When the car goes into reverse, the module kicks in and automatically tilts the passenger's mirror down to aid in parallel parking to see the curb and small dogs... When the car leaves reverse, the mirror returns to normal viewing position.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dang. The auto-tilt down mirror would be a nice feature but it seems like a difficult installation (not to mention you have to get the JDM mirrors first =( ).

9. bobc

bobc New Member

Hope this is better: <_<

Tideland,

Actually, you don't need the JDM mirrors for this one.

And, not sure how hard the installation is yet. We're all still scratching our heads as to how to hook up a couple of wires. But, it may be as simple as swapping a couple of pins in two connectors. The installation requires taking off the kick panels and the lower dash trim to run the wire (and mount the module) between the kick panels. There's no work to be done in the doors.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    bob-

DH= dear husband, although i like 'dazzling hunk' and am sure he would too :p

he's fast asleep (again... he's had it rough lately) and our internet connection is super-flaky, but if we've got awake husband and functional internet we'll go through and discuss ;)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ May 6 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]436413[/snapback]</div>
    oh really? Interesting. Since none of our cars have auto-tilt down, we've always had our right mirror permanently tilted down lol. This means we have to shoulder check more carefully (good practice I suppose and forces you to keep the habit of shoulder checking). After driving the GS450h with the auto-tilt, it seems more than a gimmick IMO and does help in getting maximum visibility and still have the convenience of seeing the curb.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well bobc, you just provided the breakthrough he needed- how to rearrange the pins in the connector to make it all plug and play. he had kinda panicked at one point with everything being wired entirely differently- he had figured out about 5 of the wires up until this point, which match what you have found as well. that must have taken a lot of hours to babel it all and search out the pins, unfortunately he doesn't have the time to do that and i don't have the knowledge to do so in my spare time. he's all excited here and since we just now determined that the wiring for the remote control mirror is in fact the same in the 05 and 06 it is possible to use our 05 as a test car for the owner of the module who drives an 06. this makes things much much easier than he was doing before.

he can definitely get you the switched power and constant power, that was pretty much the least of his concerns. he's going to try to do this tomorrow and will confirm your detective work and tell you how he got the two power sources. he may have to re-route those to tap other circuits if they're not available in that connector but that shouldn't be an issue.

thanks for the collaborative help, he will provide what you need tomorrow or shortly thereafter, when he confirms it works.

13. bobc

bobc New Member

Galaxee,

I'm hoping that you got my PM in time!!!

Well folks, I did this mod yesterday and promptly fried my module!!

Galaxee, I'm glad that NH is a long ways away from NC otherwise "DH" could mean "Determined Hitman!"

Yes, I did re-pin the harnesses correctly. Yes, I double checked everything before I plugged it in. Yes, I triple checked everything before I plugged it in.

I did plug it in and I was able to still use the control pad to manually control the mirrors up/down and left/right. So, that was good. When I put the car in reverse, module clicked but did nothing. While I was trying to figure things out, I kept questioning why the module was getting so hot....

It seems that I unwittingly went down the same path that Naterprius did. I had read all of his posts because I didn't want to fry my module ;)

At this point, I'm not sure why I lunched it....

Gonna hvae to give it some thought....

It would be cool to hear from Nate if he ever got his working again. From reading between the lines in his posts, I don't think so.. I'll try again this weekend but, I was pretty impressed with how hot this one capacitor got. I'm not holding out much hope...

So, if you've got the module, you may want to wait for a little while longer before installing....

Cheers,

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob takes one for the group... again! Your fearless contribution will not be forgotten. :)

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i called up DH this afternoon to tell him not to try it... sounds like he might end up being too busy... again... anyway.

wonder what could have gone wrong? i confess that i know absolutely nothing about this myself. hope yours is still usable, bob! :blink:

16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello bobc,

Have you ever seen following thread on PriusOnline?
    http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t...02&start=11
    I posted the English commented wiring diagrm there...
    http://www.priusonline.com/download.php?id=955

Ken@Japan

17. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response!

I seemed to have missed an earlier discussion here on PC in my searching and I just didn't think to search on PO for info even tho I prefer to post there... You're always good at keeping track of the topics and pointing us back to prior discussions. Thanks!

Thanks also for translating some of the pages, too. Unfortunately, everything that you have mentioned in those threads I already figured out... We all seem to be on the same page with regards to the wiring. I'm pretty comfortable that I have this all correct.

--------------------------------------

I'm thinking that there is something that is written, that doesn't show in the diagrams, that we are missing and is keeping this from working...

While this page has been posted already, I'll include it here since I have a question about it: On the first page below, they are talking about the module. Is there anything written there that is worthwhile?

There are also three other pages in the installation manual that haven't been posted in these other threads. One seems to talk more about the module, one appears to be the trouble shooting page and the last, I'm guessing that it's the operating instructions... Could you skim these and see if there is something we need to be doing with the module?

When I plugged mine in, I was able still able to adjust the mirrors using the control pad on the driver's door. When I put the car in reverse, the module clicked but did not do anything. And, the module then got hotter and hotter. On the troubleshooting page, do any of these symptoms show up?

Thanks again for your time and efforts. If you haven't gotten your beers yet from Car on PO, then I'll gladly send some your way!!!

Cheers,

Attached Files:

18. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ May 10 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]438669[/snapback]</div>
    It shows the DIP switch setting.
    The default is No.7 setting. You can change the tilt angle from 2.3 degrees(No.1) to 6.1 degrees(No.8).
    They are functional checking and trouble shooting.
    One note in the functional checking, you have to set "R" (right door mirror selection) near the control pad.
    The trouble shooting is just for checking connections and power fuses.
    No, there is no description about getting HOT!

My only suggestion is double check the cable connections and power/ground lines.
    You're always welcome. The beer thing was just kidding. :)
    You can forget about it.

Ken@Japan

19. bobc

bobc New Member

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to look those over... I've been checking the connections and I feel comfortable with it all except for one: The Ignition wire.

So, I've got one other thought: Since my unit got really hot, I'm wondering if the Ignition wire is supposed to be hooked up to something other than 12 volts. Under the passenger side kick panel, which is where this wire is supposed to tap in, I remember finding one wire in the Prius that had 3 volts running through it. There was also another wire with something less than 12volts but I can't remember what it was.

Ken, if you're still checking this thread, can you look on the following image that is part of the JDM instructions and see if it talks about the voltage? Any mention of something other than 12 volts? Anything in that warning box to the right of the picture? How about on the other pages above in this post?

Below, is the information for the Ignition wire coming from the Auto-tilt module. It is supposed to tap into the #14 pin on the 22 pin harness. It's supposed to tap into an Orange wire, I believe...

This will be the last time I bother you. I promise!

Cheers,

Attached Files:

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi Bob,

if you're looking at a 3v wire, in DH's experience that powers a computer or sensor, and you typically wouldn't want to mess with those wires.

we'll wait and see what Ken has to say on the translation.

DH has not had time lately to sit and look at it... constant life upheavals going on over here :( but hopefully this weekend he will have a chance. which capacitor got so hot? also, when he plugged the unit in, even without rearranging the wires on the connector, the mirror adjustment still worked then.