1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Window Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by auricchio, Feb 2, 2007.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, here's one for the folks with wiring diagrams, parts lists, and some firsthand knowledge of the window switches.

Here's what I'd like to do: Buy the "auto" switch part and install it in the passenger door.

Questions, of course:

1. Is the switch a separate part from the four-switch driver control?

2. Is the auto function wholly contained in the switch itself? (I can hear a little relay click when the window reaches the limit; no doubt this is disconnecting power at the limit, probably due to current load.)

3. If the switch is separately available, then can it be fitted into the passenger door, and another one to replace the driver's control for the passenger window?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Feb 1 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]384277[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know. It seems like an interesting project. I remember someone bring it up before (can't remember which forum it is). If anything, drop by the Camry Hybrid forum (Camrychat or greenhybrid). I'm sure they're working on a fix since the TCH only comes with auto-down on the driver's side and they want to retrofit the XLE's one-touch auto.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can lift up the control panels on both the driver's and passenger's doors and have a look at the switches, just plastic pop-connectors holding them on. The driver's control panel switch, integrated into one unit, is massive compared to the passenger's switch. I suppose you could get a right-hand-drive driver's control panel switch, and cover for door mounting, but none of the control wiring in in the passenger's door.

Good luck!

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My car already has the auto switch for the passenger windows.

All my wife has to do is say, “Honey, open/close my window†. . . and for her, it automatically opens or closes. :lol:
    [of course, she never utilizes the feature, but it is there. ;) ]

P.S. You may run into some wiring problems with your plan, being that the driver location also controls all other windows - extra wires to consider.

I just can't help but ask . . . WHY???? :huh:

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A look at the Electrical Wiring Diagram suggests that the driver's 4-switch panel contains all the intelligence; it's an integrated unit, with cabling running through the switches on the other 3 doors to the motors.

Also, the motor in the driver's door has extra connections (6 instead of just 2), presumably for sensors for the auto-up/down function.

It doesn't look like you'll be able to add auto functions to the passenger door with the Prius parts; perhaps if you investigated the parts in a Toyota that does have the function, you might be able to find a replacement passenger switch that incorporated the intelligence; but it may also require extra cables run between the doors. You'd also need a replacement window motor.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 2 2007, 02:45 AM) [snapback]384308[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe he doesn't have a wife ... or he's giving her one less excuse to talk! :D

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Feb 2 2007, 01:50 AM) [snapback]384316[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, well, it was a thought. I didn't expect it to be as easy as it looked.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Feb 2 2007, 04:32 AM) [snapback]384335[/snapback]</div>
    I do, and she knows how to use the button :D

I just like auto windows. Had 'em on both front doors on the Volvo XC90....

8. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Why do you need to change the switch? Both the front doors have "auto down" switches already. Unless they changed it from 2005 model to the 2006 model. The passengers just does not say "Auto" on it. If you push down hard on the window switch the window will travel all the way into the door. Similarly if you pull up hard on the switch the window will go all the way to the completely closed position.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Feb 2 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]384466[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but apparently it's that extra effort of keeping you finger pushing or pulling the button until the window is fully open or fully closed which is what Rick is annoyed with. :p

P.S. Try pushing down hard on the driver window button for a fraction of a second - then let go. THAT is what Rick wants the other windows to do. Unless you have a more-than-special 2005 Prius, your car doesn't operate the passenger windows that way either.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I like the auto-down.

But I have to admit that it's laziness. Hell, I haven't had manual crank windows in 28 years...

11. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  12. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Feb 2 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]384744[/snapback]</div>
    I would find it nice to have auto up/down on all four windows activated from the driver's door. My 2001 Audi A6 had this feature and I used it every day in hot weather. A quick tap on each button quickly had all four windows wide open while I was pulling out of the parking lot - I could have both hands on the wheel and not think about lowering the windows. Same for when I wanted them back up a few minutes later after the hot air had vented out of the car.

But between smart key and that feature, I'd rather have smart key. It always seems you have to give up one thing for another when changing cars. Of course, I also don't mind a price 50% less for the car and about 66% less $$ to drive it.

- Tom

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a huge fan of this auto-down feature. Most of the time I want the window open just a bit, and have to make several quick stabs at the button to get it where I want it. If I'm not quick enough, it goes all the way down, then all the way up, then...it's a pain. (pardon the pun)

14. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Feb 3 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]384930[/snapback]</div>
    You don't have to be quick, just gentle. There is a "click" you can feel after you push the switch part way down. Up to this point, the window is not in auto-down mode. Same for auto-up. If you get the "click", you are in the all-the-way up/down mode. For a light touch, the switch works just like the other three.

This is one of many fascinating things mentioned in the owners manual.

- Tom

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. While I do accidentally push it past the threshold, I can usual operate the driver's window manually. I do notice that it's easier to get into Auto-Down mode than it is for Auto-Up.