1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto window feature not working (and few more issues)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusLoverTexas, Dec 6, 2013.

1. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I recently got a 2013 Prius 5. I am still learning all the niceties of the car! So kindly excuse any ignorance in my questions :D

1. As I know all windows are auto open and close. Somehow that feature is not working for me. I was just skimming through the manual and read that it is possible if the user 'customized the mode', but then to change it back to Auto mode, I need to take it to the dealer. Has anyone changed this without taking it to dealer?

2. HUD display brightness control: The brightness is very good in day time but in the night time, the display's maximum brightness goes down automatically and there's not way to increase this threshold. Any solution for this?

3. Confused on working of DRCC: How does CC and DRCC work in tandem? Which one takes precedence and what is order of priority?

4. What is the difference between lane departure warning and lane keep assist? I set the LKA and it warned me whenever I got out of my lane. But when does lane keep assist work?

5. Does 'Auto' mode on light switch also work for DRL? I mean if I switch to auto mode, then will it automatically turn on DRL during day time and headlights during night time? Also is it safe to leave in Auto mode even when car is locked? I am little bit confused here since my previous toyota had only one low beam light that also doubled up as DRL. So I never even had to mess around with that switch :D

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you read the manual? ;)

For the Auto light position, the light sensor on the dashboard will automatically tell the system to go from DRLs during the day to lowbeam headlights in dark conditions (dusk, tunnels, parking garages).

It's OK to leave it in the Auto position when shutting down the car, the lights will go out automatically. However, I'm old school and believe electronic devices, relays, lights and radios should be turned off before shutting down the car/restarting. The reason is to protect the sensitive electronics from voltage surges and instability during startup. My 2ยข. :)

SCH-I535

3. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ^ Thanks! I wanted to read the manual - but 400+ pages put me to :sleep:

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just read the pages you really need. Most used!

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PLT, the manual also details how you can change from driver's door only unlocking from the handle to unlocking all 4 doors from the door handle. ;)

SCH-I535

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Look toward the end of the manual for Customizable Features.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the auto windows, I've found ours (typically just the drivers window, for some reason) loses this capability if the battery's been disconnected. Not 100% sure this is the procedure to fix, but you could try:

Run the window down, then run it right up and continue to lift up on the button for a couple more seconds or more.

That should reteach it, if I'm not mistaken.

8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

DRCC basically replaces normal cruise control. You set the speed, and the car will travel at that speed, until somebody is in front of you, and then it will slow down to their speed, and follow at roughly the distance you have set. It can't see everything, it won't apply the brakes extremely hard, and it won't see a car until it's almost entirely in your lane, so you'll still need to pay attention and take over if needed, obviously. It is possible to switch back to regular cruise control, but I don't see why you would ever want to. (I believe turning DRCC back on then requires restarting the car.)

LDW and LKA are basically both activated the same way, and look very similar to you. Both apply torque to the steering wheel when you're on the way out of the lane - LKA also applies some torque to keep you from leaving the lane. For example, if you're on a long curve on the highway, with LKA, it will more or less hold the steering wheel in place while you continue through the curve - you might just need a finger's worth of pressure or so to help out (again, it's designed to keep you alert and reduce fatigue, not to let you quit paying attention to things). It is active whenever DRCC is enabled; if DRCC is on and you press the LKA switch, you get LKA. If DRCC is off and you press the LKA switch, you get LDW. (Switching DRCC on and off toggles it too, if one is already activated - so tapping the brake pedal while DRCC and LKA are on will cancel DRCC and switch to LDW, so you'll suddenly have to put more effort into steering if you're on a curve!)

PriusLoverTexas likes this.
  9. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ^Thanks for the info!