1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autoblog - Report: Toyota to price 2014 Prius plug-in hybrid same as regular models

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by stevemcelroy, May 9, 2011.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "all Prius hybrid models will come standard with plug-in capabilities"

so this is the end of the cordless prius, wow. Good for them. If true this would REALLY be a game changer.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The energy industry (coal burners, wind wielders, fission fanatics, et al) are licking their chops.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But it states 2014 Prius, not the plug in Prius due at the end of 2011 :(

It does make sense though. The option to plug in is there for those who can or wish to plug in or those who are unable to or simply can't be bothered will just drive the car as a hybrid.

Perhaps it is simpler to just design the one system than have two similar systems running side by side, one plug in, one existing hybrid.

Toyota aren't stupid. I just hope they improve the quality of the interior of the car!

6. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It makes sense if the plug upgrade can really be accomplished for just $3000, with a federal tax credit of $2500 and some state incentives you could end up with plug-in upgraded models cheaper than regular models, why still build the regular ones? Even apartment dwellers with no plugs will get higher mileage in the plug-in than a cordless (just not as much).

I suspect it would also mean the end of NiMh packs, if every car has Li already adding the plug isn't that big of a deal. I would also suspect a mild increase in price of all prii in the next two years to soften the impact a bit.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ This scenario is not going to happen. If Toyota was foolish enough to set MSRP of a plug-in at the same price as a cordless Prius, the dealers would reap the market value difference.

Toyota though is not foolish. They price the cars to sell in volume for growth and profit. That means, amongst other things, paying for the underlying R&D and not just selling the entire plug-in system for the wholesale cost of only the batteries.

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to chime back in - last night when I found the report I had my ipad - not the greatest device to compose text with (at least not without my bluetooth keyboard).

There seems to be 2 different items in the post - the pricing for the plug-in available next year - the quote was something like pricing will be close enough to the original Prius that it will a hard decision as to which to get. To me this makes a fair bit of sense since the electric range is fairly low.

The bigger item of interest to me was the mention that starting in 2014 that the whole lineup will be plug-in. There are so many new hybrids, plug-ins and ev's coming to market. The Prius platform is now over a decade old and while Totota has kept on top of it, they have been conservative and they are dealing with a legacy product. Since introduced the Prius has been the best of a handful of unique cars - with all of the new and upcoming products they are becoming a commodity item. All of the other car makers have had 10 years to benchmark the Prius. While Honda and the US companies have missed the mark can you imagine what Hyundai/Kia would make if they put their minds to it? By making the entire line plug-in all of a sudden they have changed the mark to hit - if true it is brilliant in my opinion. The car will take a giant step forward.

Making the whole line-up plug in does not seem to a huge deal to do and since the batteries will likely be smaller in capacity I would imagine that they would use a standard 110 plug.

The couple of things that come to mind with this - it seems like they are saying that there are going to be different plug-in ranges, sort of like the Tesla model S - pretty cool. Also, it seems like this would finally signal the switch to lithium ion batteries.

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But thats the point, by 2014 (assuming the article is correct), Toyota will no longer make cordless prii so there will be no "difference".

The article also said "all models" of prius, I wonder if they were including the c and v (or \/ or letter that follows u or whatever you're calling it now).

This is a huge advancement for electrification. Its just a bit difficult to comprehend the prius, which invented the cordless hybrid market (more or less), leaving it.

10. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they are making all the models plugin compatible with the EV kit available as an option. Doesn't make sense to have the EV batteries ect taking up space and adding weight to cars when the owners cannot or do not want to use it.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just read the linked article, and they have updated it to include a denial by Toyota.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is lot like saying "every new Corolla will have 10" navigation and xenons for free".

Is it possible? Yes of course.

Is it going to happen? Nope.

Why? Lets say 2014 Prius PHEV G4 is priced at 24k, like current G3, it means that non PHEV could be priced at 20k and they could sell even more.

13. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and order is restored to the universe...

1 person likes this.
  14. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would they let the cat out of the bag so soon? Such a move is huge and if I was Toyota I would not let other automakers know what I'm up to. Why give them 3 years to mull over how to beat me? I call BS.

15. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In 2014 Chevron NiMH battery patents expire. This will allow Toyota to triple the current battery capacity w/o additional costs. With 4.5Kwh it would not make any sense to put additional batteries in plug-in, the difference btw plug and non-plug will be the cost of the charger.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading one of your previous posts about Chevron Nimh large battery Patent, I read that the RAV4 EV had 24 of this battery picture below for a total of 27.3 Kwh and good for 125 miles.
    http://www.evnut.com/images/rav4/rav_misc/rav_battery_ev95.jpg

Question?
    1. Is it possible all Prius Plug-Ins will get Lithium and non plug-Ins may get a bigger Nimh?

2. Do you know if the current Regular Prius(cordless), may be able to self-charge a 4.5 kwh Nimh, therefore more EV distance, at higher speed and better mileage?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh huh... does it really make sense that it'll cost the same? Why buy one over the other then? The PHV test cars gets slightly better mileage even without plugging it in and the extra 200lbs.

If it is true, there's probably some decontenting somewhere to make up the difference. Maybe they mean it'll cost within the same range as a standard Prius? The current PHV test car is better equipped than a II or a III. It has heated cloth seats, foglights and a "lite" version of Toyota's nav (the ones you find in the Corolla/Matrix)

20. tmcgee

tmcgee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two