1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AutoCraft Battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ElvisWanab, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ElvisWanab

ElvisWanab New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I am a newbie here, and I'm hoping you guys might be able to answer a battery question!

I have a 2003 Prius Classic that I bought used last summer. It's been wonderful. However, I think it's time for the starter battery to be replaced... According to my research on here, you should be able to replace the starter battery with a Mazda Miata battery. I know that elearnaid sells them, but I did a little searching around and found this battery at Advanced Auto Parts:

AutoCraft Silver Battery, Group Size U1RT, 370 CCA

(Which I can't link to because I am new...)

It looks like this thing comes with vent tubes and all. Do you think this will work?? It's decently cheaper than anything else I have found (which is nice because I'm a college student and don't have much money to play with).

Just thought I would ask the experts first!

Thanks everyone!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It should work, but This battery is designed for cranking amps, not deep discharges so it's not the best choice. You will need to deal with the SAE size terminals as your Prius has the Japanese (smaller) terminals. You can get an installation kit (without a battery which they also sell) from:
    Installtion Kit for installing Miata battery in a Prius 2001 to 2003

JeffD

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might call Sears as I understand they now carry a Prius 12V battery replacement. But you have alternatives.

The auto store should also have battery terminals that fit the new battery. You can get some heavy duty lugs from Lowes or Home Depot and using #6 wire, make your own adapter. It won't be 'pretty' but it will do until a better kit is gotten . . . if you are having trouble and can't wait:
    [​IMG]

I've been running for nearly two years on this temporary arrangement:
    [​IMG]

I understand some folks are nervous about it but I'm not:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

4. ElvisWanab

ElvisWanab New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a ton for your thoughts guys! Bob, that's quite the makeshift rig ya got there! :)

I'll try and give Sears a call and see what they say, though when I went on their website I couldn't find anything listed for any of the Prius models....