1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autocross the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by salguod, Sep 9, 2015.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, not exactly, but similar.

My daughter participated in Tire Rack's Street Survival teen driving school. Her Protege was laid up in the garage with an exhaust problem, so she did the class in Mom's 2007 Prius Touring.

They set up a small course in the parking lot with a full acceleration and then brake-and-turn exercise, followed by a slalom, then a short road course and a small skid pad.

Here's my crappy cell phone video of the Prius on the course:

Here's the skid pad. They were throwing cracked corn on it to make it slippery. The traction control kept kicking in, so she probably didn't learn as much as she could have, unfortunately.

It's a good class, teaches kids the limits of what their can can do so they'll be better equipped to handle an emergency situation.

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Driving school in a parking lot with other parked cars. That's a disaster waiting to happen ...

3. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cars were in places where the drivers weren't headed toward them. Speeds were generally pretty low too. I was probably standing nearly as close to the action as the cars were and never felt in danger. You'll notice light poles and signs in the lot too.

SM-T320 ?

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The AAA class was held in the Great Adventure parking lot overlooking the ticket booth. I see the events are run by local car clubs. If you can't attend a class look up the local auto club & see if you can't participate in one of their events.

Max speed on the AAA course was 25mph. It was 35mph on the SCCA course.