1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autoline After Hours #316 - Chevy Bolt: The EV for the Rest of Us

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Part of Ward's Automotive, these folks in the past tried to push "clean diesels" over hybrids and plug-ins. But VW shut that down. Now these hybrid skeptics seem to have 'gotten religion' which is why this podcast / video is important:

Sorry, no transcript. It starts out slow but as they talk, you can see the cogs in their minds turning to a new paradyne. For example, the 'no car days' because of NOx finally made them realize there is a harm to not only diesel but conventional cars too. Towards the end, they also realized the importance of the Pacifica, the first North American, hybrid miniVan.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Sergiospl likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In his test drive report of the pre-production Bolt at CES, McElroy said he was going to buy one.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll be more impressed when he CAN buy one. but i like the concept.

Elprez98 likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who is Ward's Automotive anyway? In other words, do they have vested interest in diesel or that was just the preference of the Autoline radio show guys.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  6. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Ward's is a subscription-only auto industry news operation. It's readership is focused more towards people inside the auto industry itself rather than towards consumers.

The connection to Ward's on this show are tenuous. The guy running the show is presently a columnist for Ward's. The two other guys are from other media outlets (Automotive Design and Production Magazine and The Detroit News) and AutoLine itself is a program put out by Detroit public television via PBS.

#6 Jeff N, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    austingreen and bwilson4web like this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They're the guys that do the best engines ratings that are posted here every year.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They've had an anti-hybrid and especially anti-Prius bias for years and until the middle of September 2015, they kept trying to be diesel fanboys. For example, claiming hybrid and EV sales have collapsed. So I had been in the habit of posting the Jeff Cobb numbers for hybrids, EVs, and diesels selling more than 2,000 in a month. But with this podcast, I think they are finally getting a clue.

They do keep their ear to the Detroit ground and occasionally post some interesting stuff. But they are suckers for anyone who claims their 'new technology' is just as good as a hybrid (they mean Prius.) FYI, they turned me on the I8 and I8-REX. So I'm just there to keep them connected to reality.

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #10 bwilson4web, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Sergiospl likes this.
  10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I posted it hoping someone in Cali will try to get that deal!:)

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

No problem but GM has 'history' with the EV1 leases. <grins>

Truth be told, I've never really understood the lease models. It alway struck me as a scheme that requires a narrow, predicted operating range to break even when compared to a purchase. Too many 'gotcha' conditions. For a business, it might make sense but individuals with active lives . . .

Bob Wilson

dbcassidy likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Friend leased a BMW in the late '90s, and then purchased it at the end of lease. He might have paid $2000 more doing so than buying it, but going with the lease meant more cash to throw at the mortgage each month. Then leasing might work out for better tax deductions if the car has a business use.

The Volt isn't lease only like the EV1.

The entire tax credit can be applied in the lease of any plug in. So, for the Volt, it roughly works out the same as leasing a $26k car, which is the same as a mid-range Prius. This isn't a new deal. It is just that the Volt is nearly $7000 cheaper than when it first arrived.