1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autoline Daily 1526 - Google's Refined Bubble Car

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bwilson4web, Dec 26, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Original title and line: AD #1526 – Google’s Refined Bubble Car, Mark Reuss Talks GM Product, Is MKC the NATOY? – Autoline Daily

A summary of news, there was one statement that makes new GM sound 'less bad:'
    Now this makes a lot of sense. Instead of applying 'lessons learned' forward, GM was grinding 1 of every 4 engineers into fiddling with cars that have already gone to market. It would be one of the worst possible engineering tasks having no creative joy.

My career has ranged from maintenance through lead engineer and each has its strengths and weaknesses. But I noticed maintenance drives off a lot of talent. They hate having to 'reverse engineer' something that they didn't write and won't get any credit. At the beginning of a project, all code is new and the developers are hired:
    [​IMG]
    As the code base increases, the accumulated errors begin requiring more fixes which is bad enough when it is the developer's own code but when they have to fix a co-worker's code . . . well they reach down and polish their resume to move on to their next employer and another 'blank sheet' to scribble on.

The GM challenge is getting the 'lessons learned' from previous projects carried forward into the next project. This is a really hard problem. Having those from a maintenance team become the supervisors can work but not if they just carry forward 'horse and buggy' technology.

So we'll see if new GM is able to thread the needle. I wish them luck.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 and austingreen like this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of the old gm was devoted to maintain the large dealership network and keep union employment up. Bankrupcy chaangd all that, but also they got rid of Roger Smith and Rick Wagoner. Lots of the dead wood is gone, but much remains as we see from the ignition recall fiasco. Probably best perspective is here

How Rick Wagoner Lost GM - Businessweek

#2 austingreen, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In January 2009, I and two others had a chance to drive around in a two-mode, Saturn VUE hybrid. It was snowing in Detroit and we drove over to an island to get a feel for it. Much like a Ford Escape hybrid, it was comfortable, spacious and had the word "hybrid" embedded in the door, paint scheme. But it was a Ford Escape alternative and I was there to see the 2009 Prius. Hindsight, it was wasted:
    • "HYBRID" is a word and painting it on does not make it a 50 MPG car.
    • A small, American boat, an SUV is comfortable but that does not pay the gas bill.
    • North Alabama shutdowns with 1/4" of snow so 4" was at best, an abstraction.
    Back in Huntsville, I test drove a BAS Saturn VUE at the long closed, Saturn dealership. Another small SUV, the 'start/stop' system was a sad joke like the word "hybrid" embedded in the paint.

I try to be cautious about scapegoating and there are venal individuals. But history shows these characters were enabled by a host of supporters. Were the dealership hands clean? Did their bankers think money alone made money? And where was 'the press' before the collapse?

Hindsight is always 20/20 but these screw-ups are a pattern known and seen before in industry. Enron anyone?

When I was in General Electric, we had a project that 'went off the rails.' Costs had ballooned and there was risk of being canceled. Suddenly the well compensated, 'developers' became quiet and scarce. Some retreated back to division headquarters from which they had come . . . down to 'help' us. Under the budget gun was the first time those of us who mumbled about quality and doing the job right were able to make a difference.

I don't know the optimum budget vs labor ratio but excesses on either end leads to waste.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First this is quite different from Enron, enron hinged on accounting tricks that really were fraud. Hinding losses in shadow companies.

The story of GM as the BW article pinpointed is about corporate governance, and a lot was written about this over the years. We have problems even before Roger Smith, but he really stacked the board to support some really bad decissions that a good board should have stopped. We get Roger and Me, a entertaining slightly made up documentary about that time. Sure dealers and unions caused some of the problems, but good CEOs would have cut off brands and fired enough workers to make the business work. Instead everything was great in the up cycle and a crisis in the down cycle.

The bankers did continously downgrade the debt eventually to junk. I had cases in grad school about gm mismanagement. You know there is no scapegoating here. Smith and Wagoner both packed the board to collect lots of dollars while mismanaging a once great company. Others were at fault too, but we need to learn these lessons. When I am investing in individual stocks I look at the management and GM had some of the worst scum rise to the top. Post Wagoner management has been better, but as I said lots of the old bad thinking is still there in the culture. This is true at toyota post watenabe also, akio toyoda is moving more slowly dealling with the dead wood, and that includes the chairman of the board and american management. Toyota's management never got as bad as gm's, but I have to think that moving us headquarters to texas has more to do with shaking up and getting rid of dead wood than cost cutting.

I think autoline didn't really pinpoint things correctly. The charge against gm was not wasted engineering in reducing manufacturing costs, it was really under funding new product development.

Toyota is really the leader at design for manufacturing and the whole TMS really results in lower costs for higher quality. GM would have been wise devoting even more engineering tallent there.

The mistakes were spelled out quite well. Instead of designing new exciting cars like the cruze, engineering was spent taking the same boring car and making it for other brands. You had the same boring car as a chevolet, a buick, and a cadillac. Cadillac instead of being what it once was lost its quality as they were just changes from chevies or pontiacs. This is quite different than the Lexus idea (a couple are toyota's but whole new designs with the flagships gs and ls. They did hummer, than labeled I think a chevy tahoe a hummer.

So smart moves with hindsight for smith

1) Instead of creating saturn and keeping all the brands, change pontiacs name to saturn or keep it pontiac. Do the single pricing. Take the money saved and buy 30% of toyota or honda. Have your japanese partner design the compact and subcompact. Your Japanese partner makes money, you lose it, but make up for it in rising stock on the balance sheet. Never create geo.

2) Kill Oldsmobile. Let the dealers die or move over to buick/cadilac or your new partner (toyota or honda).

3) Give UAW workers stock options as a concession, demand that you can have flexible work rules, or move plants to non-union states.

For Wagoner (He said most of these)

1) Don't crush the ev-1, keep the program going, and start making the volt.
    2) Invest $1B more in hybrid technologies. When toyota offers you the prius take it.
    3) Watch the credit quality of gmac, when it goes low cut it off
    4) Sell saab and hummer for cash invest in better designs for your other lines
    5) Invest in JIT (part of TMS) manufacturing, when the auto downturn happens, cut production fast.
    6) Don't piss away $2.5B on fuel cell cars in an attempt to justify crushing the ev-1. $1B is probably fine.
    7) Invest engineering to build exciting cars, don't ignore cars for SUVs

ftl likes this.