1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automakers create radio and print ads

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Alric, May 27, 2007.

1. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "In an effort to sway consumer's minds when it comes to the types of vehicles they purchase and the regulations concerning fuel mileage of those vehicles, a consortium of automakers is running radio and print advertising in some states."

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/05/26/au...t-to-stall-fue/

Pretty much gagged when heard this and this.

And Toyota is part of the group!

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for bringing this up. They speak of "extreme" CAFE standards. Oh man. There's nothing extreme about them! And then they say the only solution will be to offer small, unsafe cars. BS. Build electric cars to sell, and watch your CAFE numbers soar!

This crap makes me ill. And yes, everybody should know that Toyota is part of this group!

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, what a load of nonsense... On no with higher fuel economy standards I wont be able to get a new suv or truck!!! What will I do?? Perhaps expect the auto companies to manufacture more fuel efficient suv's and trucks??? Duh!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    omfg! what is wrong with these people? duuuhhh... yeah nevermind that people have been driving pickup trucks for how many years now and fuel economy has been on a downward trend for some time now as size and towing capacity that what percent of drivers actually need has been going up. nevermind that the very soccer moms who are cruising around in their SUVs were probably road-tripping with their parents in a station wagon.

5. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here we have the darker side of Toyota in plain view. Are they really doing the best that they can?
    I like the second add "If we go too far , then we will go nowhere at all" sounds like the last 30 some years in the US. The auto industry and oil industry in control, we are paying the price now for lack of action in the past.
    Fear is a powerful weapon my friends, it is used to keep people in line under a dictatorship and in so call free states. How free do you feel now? I keep asking the same question of the non-believers, the ones that giggle at my Prius. What are we going to do about the problem of more and more vehicles on the road every year coupled with a dwindling fuel supply? Their eyes glaze over, they have no answer, then they talk about their need for a large vehicle and the lack of a replacement that gets good fuel economy.
    I keep seeing these adds for the Tacoma and other pickups touting their trailer towing capacity and load carrying capacity, how about that big engine!
    How about a fuel efficent vehicle that can be used to haul a piece of furniture, run to Home Depot for a few pieces of wood, something to haul bulky items that won't fit in a car? The fact is that 95% of Americans would be well served by such a vehicle as an option to a car. Let the other heavy-duty users, the ones that actually need that kind of performance, purchase and run the trucks that they actually work. I have no problem with people who use a vehicle for what it was designed for. I do have a problem with lieing to people to get them to buy the wrong vehicle too much vehicle for their needs, just look at the past 30 some years and the situation that we are in now, to see my point. Proud Americans have been turned into posers, fools of the marketing machine.

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clearview22 @ Jun 2 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]453879[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, reality check time. Toyota is in business to make money, just like every other automaker. If the sales for hybrds fall and they aren't profitable, they will drop them like a hot potato. The minute Toyota stops making money off of "being green" is the miinute they stop being green.

7. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Jun 2 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]453925[/snapback]</div>
    When you start spending money to influence public policy, then you step from the side lines into the spotlight. It is pretty clear that the auto manufacturers do not want change, they have it good just the way that it is. Nobody is perfect we all make mistakes, this is the problem of letting the industry run the show for too long without proper public policy, making sure that the interests of the people are best served.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Jun 2 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]453925[/snapback]</div>
    I am not a spokesperson for Toyota or anyone, but the above poster needs to realize that not all people (or corporations) think like the poster does. There ARE other points of view. Just because YOU base YOUR life's decisions on dollars does NOT mean EVERYONE does. Stop taking your personal point of view and placing it on everyone else. It doesn't always fit. Take GM. They apparently prefer to make autos they WANT everyone to buy, but not everyone wants them and therefore GM is losing Billions of dollars but still in business.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Radio and print? It's not going to do them much good. Radio and print don't have the impact they used to have.

10. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Heh, I listened to the second ad. I just had two words float into my mind: red and neck. Now, I love my truck, but I don't love it to the point that I'm willing to destroy the environment just to hang on it a little longer.

Didn't we learn anything from the gas crisis that took place in the 1970s? Does anyone really want to live out (or re-live) gas rationing?

What it's going to take is a rather large amount of pain to cause the auto industry to change their tune concerning these vehicles.

Personally, I say that it should start with the EPA outlawing the production of any new V-8s. Allow a certain amount of time for replacement parts, and then phase those out of production, too. Hey, I had to give up my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 because of high gas prices - back in 2005. I'm sure that with measures like that in place, we could get somewhere.