1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by glscheil1, Apr 16, 2004.

1. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

While I usually drive in moderate weather without the A/C on, It has turned really hot now. While I was at lunch today. I cracked the windows open just a little but when I returned to the car, it was really hot inside. I started to drive but it was so hot, I turned the Auto A/C on. It ran in re-circulating air for a while and when it decided it was cool enough inside the car, it switched to outside air by itself. Really cool.

2. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

Not looking forward to the wonderful Texas summer, I hope I can get mine before July. Especially the thought being able to use the A/C in traffice without having to worry about mileage.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The energy to run the A/C has to come from somewhere. It runs off the traction battery so it can run while the ICE is stopped, but sooner or later (and probably sooner) the ICE will run to recharge the battery. Nothing is free. Running the A/C will reduce your mileage, just as it would in a conventional car. Of course, in Texas it'll be worth it. Me, I'm a moderate environmentalist: I wear shorts in warm weather so I don't have to turn the temperature down as far, but I burn enough gas to drive comfortable.