1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Air Conditioning in Winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by itstwowords, Oct 10, 2005.

1. itstwowords

itstwowords New Member

Does the automatic air conditioning also heat the car in cold weather, or do I have to use the manual controls on the climate MFD? I've only had my '05 since April and have not had to use the heat yet. I read somewhere that the G2 Prius has an electric heatpump instead of the traditional air conditioning compressor / hot engine water heat coil.

2. KathyY

KathyY Member

Just set the temp at whatever is comfortable and you will get either heat or cooling as needed. I find that at this time of the year I do have to change the setting in the morning or else I get a lot more heat than I want but otherwise I love not thinking about it.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, think of it as Automatic Climate, rather than simply A/C. I had the same problem too. :)

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No heat pump, it uses a conventional heater core and pulls heat from the engine. BUT it also has an electric heater, so on a frosty morning the ICE can warm to operating temperature for lower emissions without keeping the passengers freezing. When the engine gets hot, the conventional heater starts working.