1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Car Wash: How to put the 2004 Prius in neutral:

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ken Cooper, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

So ... If you take your car to an automatic car wash that has those rollers that pull your car along at the wheels, here's what you do:

1. Explain the following to the guy who will be driving your car around to the conveyor after the interior is cleaned up:

... Press your foot on the brake, push the start button, release the brake, drive the car around.

... Press the start button to turn off the car.

... Take your foot off the brake.

... Push the start button two times.

... Place your foot on the brake for two seconds.

... Move the shift lever to the left and watch the display switch from Park to Neutral.

He'll then thank you and proceed to do exactly what you described (HA).

Then talk to the guy who will be driving your car off the conveyor and explain to him that he'll need to push the start button turning off the accessories while placing the car back in Park (hopefully after your car has already rolled off the end of the conveyor) and then explain to him how to start and drive the car. He, of course, needs to be able to follow these instructions quickly and exactly before the next car (probably a high bumper pickup truck) on the conveyor plows into the rear of your car.

In other words, I'm going to miss going to my local Octopus Car Wash and getting their interior clean, spray-on wax, and an occasional special wheel clean and dressing for the tires.

It looks like the only alternative is the gas station car wash where you drive your own car through the bay. I wonder which type is least harmful for your car? The one with the very high pressure rotating nozzles, or the brushless ones that flop those soft wet floppy things all over your car?

Anyhow, after reading a comment about not being able to place our cars in neutral, I decided to do a search on the subject, found nothing in the manual, but then discovered, on a car-wash site, this technique (Again: With car off and no foot on the brake ... Push the start button twice ... Note the display shows the car in Park ... Press your foot on the brake for two seconds ... Move the shift lever to the left for a second and watch the display switch from Park to Neutral. It will stay in neutral (also in accessory mode) until you push the start button again. At that time you'll watch the display make its transition from Neutral to Park and then all displays will turn off. Only then will you be allowed to use your normal car starting procedure.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I'll stick to the self-service car wash, where I put quarters in the machine and squirt and scrub the car myself.

(Being careful not to spray the rear wiper off!)

3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think I'll stick to washing my car in the driveway! (after it arrives, of course...)

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

Wash your car in the driveway? :cry: Now that's a bad thing to do! :D

In some cities in NL that's against the law because it's bad for the environment. While your washing your car clean, you flush the dust and oil residues and what not into the sewage system.

Most car washes (including the ones described by daniel) have filter systems to clean the water before it's send to the sewage or even re-used.

5. SoFlaJB

SoFlaJB New Member

I just had the car wash experience yesterday and it was traumatic to say the least. I had no idea about this procedure and probably wouldn't have gotten the guy to do it anyway, given his language problems. Ultimately, I just left the car on and in neutral, probably a violation of all sorts of safety rules!!

Like you, I've decided that I will have to find another way to get the thing washed - safely. I may have to just find someone to do it by hand. Those do it yourself bays and gas station varieties just don't look good to me - who knows how clean that water is or how mangled those cloths/brushes are!

6. Stan Wilson

Stan Wilson New Member

I have found the Laserwash system works well and avoids the trauma of the carwash.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I go to Auto Magic Car Wash. I explain to the first guy how to start/stop, shift, etc. the car, I watch carefully, and they've done the service successfully with only a few bewildered looks and a few extra punchs at buttons noted.

I take off the antenna, but otherwise they seem to figure it out just fine. I've been trying to use the same place in hopes that they'll get used to seeing me and my car and become more familiar. I've probably gone to the car wash 10+ times since I got it with no major or even minor incidences.

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    well, considering what is already spewed on the roads and highways across the country (and ultimately on our cars), I can't imagine how washing one's car in the driveway using about two ounces of biodegradeable detergent intended for car washing would add much of anything more to the sewage system than what a good rainfall would rinse off of everyone else's cars (clean or otherwise) and road surfaces and down into the sewer system. Not to mention least of which is if you know how to properly hand wash your own car, you avoid the potential damage that can take place in most any automatic carwash.8)

9. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Uhm...am I missing something?

I just go up to the car wash and tell them that I'm taking it through because the car is different and you could hurt it.

I then drive it up and put the lever into N. When it comes out I put it into D and move it to the next station at which time they do the cleaning. (I tell them to leave the center screen alone.)

That's it. Is there a reason to shut off all the accessories? I don't think having the radio and things on does any damage. Now I'm going to have to read the manual again...I don't remember seeing anything like what is described.

I don't even take off the antenna or the back wiper and I have had no problems yet.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, Xlarimer, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about either. We have 2 different AutoMagic's here, one of them you pull up, get out, and they do the initial vacuuming and stuff there then one of the AM guys drives it to the auto-washer pull through.

I've used them, and they didn't seem to have any big problems.

The other wash, the one I use most, you pull the car into the auto-washer/pull through thing so I'm in charge there, but then you pull around for the inside cleaning part and there they put the car on an oversized conveyor belt. But the car is shut off during the conveyor ride and can be in park. I just have to explain once how to start, stop, put in gear, they catch on as fast as I did and never seem to have issues.

11. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The big problem here which may be happening and you don't even realize it, is that if the car can be left ON and in Drive mode and not make a peep or even creep forward if it's locked in with the rollers in front of the wheels. The electric creep speed isn't sufficient to drive over the roller. I've had this happen to me, and by the time the car is out of the car wash, the battery is drained down to about 2 bars since it's been exerting current against a stalled load the entire time. This isn't particularly healthy and I don't recommend it.

Shifting to Neutral doesn't require a Start button cycle. You can shift to Neutral from Drive anytime you have your foot on the brake. You do, however, need to hold it in the N position for several seconds until the display shows that it has indeed changed. A quick flick of the stick won't do it. I assume this is for safety so you don't accidently shift to neutral while driving.

12. fred

fred New Member

went thru the drive thru car wash. guy kept yelling. put in neutral. I couldnt. i left it in drive and kind of just barely feathered the brake. very traumatic! im going to try the hold it in neutral thing see if it works. mine went either to drive or reverse. im going to try again.

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

Also, FWIW, it seems easier (ie, to take less than a few seconds) to put the car in neutral from park than from drive, but that's just my observation, it might not really be that way at all.

Yes, indeed, you do have to hold it at the neutral position for longer than if you were shifting to drive or reverse. I also assume they did this for safety.

-m.

14. fred

fred New Member

duh, duh and duh! i went outside to test getting into neutral and all of sudden success. just hold it a couple of seconds in the middle position and viola! there you go!too easy. what a dunce i was . think ill go back to the drive thru to test for sure.

15. Batavier

Batavier Member

I totally agree :) But try that to explain that to our government. They often do things that seem to be very environmentally friendly, but don't help that much. Ah well. I don't have a drive way, so I *have* to wash my car in a car wash or DIY quarter thingy. :)

16. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The main environmental damage caused by washing your car at home is precisely the reason I do it: No water recycling. The car washes all have systems that reuse the water over and over. I think that's great... I turn the water off while I brush my teeth and even don't flush every time. But that's just to save up water for washing my car :)

I find that washing it myself with clean fresh water, I completely avoid the water spots that occur with the commercial washes. At the car wash they have to rub the car down with towels to get all the water off, potentially causing scratches. I just drive my car to work after cleaning it myself and most of the water is gone. If I want to be really spiffy I spend a couple minutes drying any remaining water it once I'm at work. But most of the time I just let it be.

I find I can completely wash my car in about 13 minutes. That happens to be about the same amount of time it takes for a full service car wash at a commercial car wash.

I still bring the car into the commercial places when the interior really needs cleaning because they do that quicker than I can. In between I just use a cloth to dust the dash or even rub haze off the windows at stoplights.

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you ordering a new driveway?

18. adrenalinwill

adrenalinwill New Member

Two separate issues. Sewer systems convey "grey water" and storm drain systems convey "run off" into the ocean. You'll find that new environmental regulations require developers of residential tracts to treat storm run off prior to discharge into the regional storm drain systems. Regional Water Quality, Army Corp of Engineers, Dept of Fish and Game, and Dept of Fish and Wildlife are mandating soft bottom channels in hopes of utilizing the natural perculation process to filter out hazardous discharge prior to the storm run off reaching the ocean.

In addition, the BMPs, sand filters in the catch basins, and filtration basins trap harmful pollutants before it has a chance to reach the ocean. It has been illegal to wash you car in the driveway in San Diego for years. I'm sure it will soon catch on...FYI, EPA mandates a $10,000 / day fine for anyone sited with a violation of the clear water act.

Being the environmentally sensitive group that Prius drivers are, it's important to realize washing you car in your driveway once would do significantly more damage to the environment than driving a Prius for a year.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/ne...wpollutants.pdf

Be informed. Make a difference.

19. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Daniel said something about the rear wiper, and I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not. Is the rear wiper flimsy or poorly-designed? Is it worth getting (haven't gotten in line for a Prius yet). I've driven cars with and without a rear wiper, and it really don't miss it now (currently without). Just seems like one more thing to go wrong.

20. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amen