1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Automatic' EV switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Wayne, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Between the regular EV switch, the Coastal EV switch, and a Homelink EV switch, I've been thinking the Coastal is the most elegant solution. This is probably how I will go.

However, I was wondering whether there's any 'automatic' version of the switch out there.

My thought is this: Almost all my travel in both directions starts out at slow speeds with several stops before I get to a place where I can get up to speed. On paper, it sounds like EV mode could be beneficial at the beginnings of ALL my trips. On the other hand, engine inefficiency when cold may mean it's better to warm up when slow or not moving, even though that seems counter to good MPG. I have no data.

Anyway, I was thinking a small circuit that pulsed a ground when the EV switch was on and the car was started, or anytime the EV switch was manually switched on, would get you EV mode on demand, or at the start of each trip. If you didn't want EV, you could turn the switch off.

Since I've never run EV, I'd be interested in hearing what people think about an 'automatic' version of the switch. Useful? Or deceptively wasteful?

Not so much interested in theory, as experiences.

Thanks!

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have experience with both the Coastal and the factory EV mods. I had the Coastal Mod kit and a factory switch and the tech installed both. Back to your question, I find the EV more useful after the ICE has run for a while. It is great for large parking lots and for stop and go traffic in town after getting off the freeway. ( I have a 20 block stretch in Seattle where I am on EV all the way to the parking lot) At startup EV just delays the warm-up cycle and in my experience does not increase MPG. Also in cold climates your windows will fog up as the climate control system seems to be delayed also. If you turn the defrosters on EV is disconnected.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, think of it this way. The Prius already HAS a built in EV switch. It automatically senses when you seem to be slowing to a stop and shuts down the ICE. It automatically senses when you're accelerating slowly and leaves the ICE off. It allows you to go up to 41mph with the ICE off.

The thing is, that by making it automatic it has to be a lot more flexible and therefore less aggressive since it can't possible "Know" that you're stopping, or "know" that you're just moving forward a few feet.

The after-market or OEM EV button is more like a 'super' EV mode that allows the driver to give extra information to the HV ECU about his/her intentions and terrain and conditions so that it can better/more aggressively utilize the EV features.

As to which system to choose, go with whichever suits your fancy.

4. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Interesting, that's good to know. Thanks for the tip. Not sure which EV kit I will buy, but I will buy one.

5. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength... I suspect that may be because I wasn't very clear in what I was asking/describing. I was just asking about thoughts on the value of a minor mod to a normal EV switch.

As you know, EV mode is engaged by the momentary application of a ground to a pin on a connector. This special 'forced' EV mode stays engaged until it is either manually disengaged by the user (through the application of another momentary ground), or by the car exceeding EV restrictions. After it is disengaged, this forced EV mode will not come back until it is again manually requested by the user (under the right conditions, of course). So, in theory, if I hit a normal installation of an EV mode switch, it will engage for awhile, then disengage and the car will go back to running normally.

What I was proposing was changing the normal momentary-contact EV switch to a normal on/off switch, connected to a small circuit that is interfaced to 12V, ground, the EV switch, and the EV pin. This circuit would send a momentary ground to the EV pin whenever 1) The EV switch was closed, or 2) Whenever 12V appears when the switch is closed (i.e., the car is started). The idea being that forced EV mode could not only be engaged on demand, but automatically every time the car was started.

Going back to my original thought, on the surface it would seem like EV mode would be beneficial for the slow speeds with several stops I have to navigate before I get to a place where I can get up to speed. This implementation of the switch would simply engage EV at the start of each trip. Call it a lazy-man implementation.

Of course this is only if warming up while at speed isn't much worse to fuel economy than the small fuel savings I just achieved. That's where I need experiences-- is this just a bad idea? Or the coolest idea ever? (heh-heh) :)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I see said the blind man!!

Here are my thoughts. I'm not sure it's the 'greatest idea ever', but I like it none the less.

1)I think the system would need to be a little more sophisticated than what you describe. There's a delay of a few seconds upon hitting the Power button and when EV can be engaged. The splash screen on the display must come on, I think, before the button works (I think the ECU is coming to life and going through a check during that phase). So you'd need some sort of circuit that could delay the implementation of that momentary ground for "X" seconds.

2)You'd, of course, want a means of overriding EV mode in some cases. IOW, you'd still want/need the regular button or CC circuit or whatever. I know that sometimes I'll engage EV mode on start up when there are only 4 bars (or even 3 bars but voltage is within EV minimums), and with a cold start if I forget to disengage I'll see the SOC drop to 1 pink bar pretty quickly. I don't know that that is particularly harmful, but it's hard to get peak power and I just don't like to see that all the time.

3)Ironically, Toyota apparently made the ICE start after 7 seconds so the car would feel more "normal" to the driver...so they wouldn't be in doubt as to whether the car was actually running or not. Now here you/we are contemplating a way to make the car work the way the engineers originally planned it to work (ie no ICE start up until demand dictated a need) in the first place.
    --evan

7. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

1) Yep, should be able to do that. Should be able to whip up something where both the delay and duration of the ground to the EV pin can be controlled.

2) You'd be able to override EV mode by simply flipping the switch off. It if it's already operating, you'd have to flip the switch off and on again (to get a second ground). The two conditions of EV are when the circuit sees the switch flipped on, or anytime the switch is on and 12V appears.

The only catch I see at the moment is we might have to make the circuit operate differently depending on whether it is triggering because of 12V, or because the EV switch was flipped 'on' (in one case you want a delay, in the other you don't).

Thanks, you're buy-in makes this sound like a possibility! :)

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RE 2) above: I don't know how well I like the 'switch' idea. But here's what I'm thinking. If you want a switch so that you have the option of turning off the 'auto' EV on start up, install it in an inconvenient place...like near the SKS switch. Obviously your default would be for it to be on.

RE the "catch": I think having 2 different momentary switches going to Pin 27 is the obvious solution. So, you have your circuit connected to the 12v source and your on-off switch by the SKS for momentary switch #1--it works only on a 1 time basis on start up and then essentially shuts itself off. Then you have an EV button or the CC switch also spliced into the same pin #27 but completely bypassing your auto-circuit. That way you'd still have a means to get a momentary ground to enable or disable EV mode any time you wanted, but you wouldn't have to worry about whether you left the switch for the circuit in the on or off position all the time, it would always be 'on' but would only work once.

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work just fine.

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I use EV and battery power mode more than most here, and I would never want it automatic.
    It is just too critical to use it at the right times, so your mpg is helped and not destroyed.
    And with the low battery capacity, one button push lasts me about as long as I want the battery discharging anyways.

In general when you push EV the car should go into EV and stay there. When it doesn't it is telling you you should not have used EV in that situation to begin with. So there should not be a need for it to keep re-entering EV automatically.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom, what he's saying is that his button would only automaticaly engage upon first entering READY mode. It could then be manually disengaged when you wanted to. Then the standard EV button could be used to reengage when desired. It would NOT automatically re-engage at any other time than when first starting the car.

11. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Thanks Evan, switches as you describe would be a better implementation.

tomdeimos, this is a normal EV implementation, it just engages every time you start your car (unless you turn the master switch off). Under Evan's revised implementation, it also engages/disengages when you hit your EV button.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your "automatic" EV switch is a bad idea for the following reason:

When the Prius starts cold, it wants to avoid heavy engine load if it can. It therefore draws more on the battery for the first minute or so. (Watch your energy arrows.) Since it is inefficient to accelerate on battery power or to use battery power at high speeds, you are much better off letting the engine warm up while you are still at slow speeds.

EV mode is favorable at low, steady speeds when the battery is at a high level of charge, or at very low speeds, such as parking lots.

The problem with your suggestion is that once you hit your faster speeds and the engine is forced to start, you would continue to draw from the battery while the engine warms up. Your battery would therefore be drawn down excessively, and would have to be re-charged from the engine, which is inherently inefficient.

Remember that the Prius is not designed to be gas-or-electric. It's designed to be gas-and-electric, and most of the time it's using both simultaneously, frequently using electricity (at MG2) as it is generated (at MG1) from engine power.

The only time I'd recommend using EV at start-up is if you are going to travel such a short distance that the engine is not needed at all, or if you just want to impress pedestrians by your silence and you don't mind a small loss of efficiency.

There are only very limited situations when forcing EV mode via the switch is favorable, and those require human intelligence. The only "auto" EV you want is (as Evan pointed out above) already in the car.

All that said, I use the Coastal EV switch and like it a lot (for those infrequent times when I consider it favorable - - and to impress pedestrians in parking lots.)

13. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I also have been under the impression that the ICE starts up when the car starts to warm up the emissions system. The idea is to get it warm before the ICE is needed for full power because drawing full power when cold greatly increases emissions.

So I wouldn't start the car up in EV all the time if you're doing so for environmental reasons. You'll quite possibly make thing worse.

I tend to see only two good environmental uses for EV mode:

1. If you are going to move the car a short distance and won't ever need ICE on that trip.

2. If you know that you are soon going to be going downhill for longer than necessary to recharge the battery, and so you want to use EV to burn some electricity now that can be recharged on the downhill. That in effect uses energy from regen that would otherwise have been wasted in braking friction while going downhill.

But there are also quality of life uses:

I am starting to use it while pulling into my carport late at night so as not to disturb the neighbors.

When listening to the audio system with the car turned off, it's best to have the hybrid system engaged to avoid draining down the 12V battery. But you don't really want the annoyance of the ICE engine running. So EV mode lets you listen to audio in peace and quiet without danger of running the 12V battery too low.

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Thanks Evan for clarifying. I stil think the switching should be like it is now.

I could see someone living where EV was good at start up every day, but then everywhere else they stopped it would likely be a bad idea and they'd have to switch out of the mode more often than they need to switch into EV mode.

But I live where it will soon be cold enough EV won't work at start up anyways. Car has to warm up first.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I read it Wayne isn't proposing this as any kind of standard feature or something for everyone. But rather for his particular situation he'd like to have the car stay in EV at every start up until he selects to exit as that is conducive to good mileage in his particular situation.

I'm not sure it's something I want. Although about 1/2 the time I do enter EV immediately at start up, drive the 100ft. down my driveway and grab my paper or pull out of the parking garage at work, wait for the light, then go into 'normal' mode on the way home I don't know if I'd get frustrated when I forgot to disable EV mode and did discharge the HV batt further than I desire.

I think the concept is sound for the person in a situation where it would be desireable and wouldn't be likely to cause any problems.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is another:

I often observe the engine remaining on when the system is fully warm, the battery charge is high, and the speed is slow. Under these conditions, if the instantaneous mpg is high, the engine is not burning much gas and all is well. But often, under these conditions, the mpg is low. Then the engine is burning a lot of gas and (presumably) charging an already highly-charged battery.

If I do nothing, the battery will soon be in the green, which is unnecessary unless you are about to hit a long uphill (which I never had when I lived in Fargo).

The EV switch lets me shut off the engine when power requirement is small and the battery is already well charged.

Also, in winter in Fargo, with the heater running, the engine would never shut off. The battery would get fully charged, and I'd be wasting gas. The EV switch allowed me to shut it off, except in the most bitterly-cold weather. I'd still get plenty of heat out of the heater.

Note: My drive in Fargo was usually too short for the car ever to get into Stage 4 operation. I know from reading John's posts that if I had driven farther, the car would eventually warm up properly and operate as we expect. Fargo is just too small. (Which was one of the things I liked about it.)

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

OK, sounds like a one-shot timer is needed to pulse the EV line after x seconds on power up.
    Or maybe Norm could add this feature to the Can View that has a built in EV button?

I guess one reason I don't see using this is my driveway goes up hill to the street!
    At work I often use EV to get out of the parking lot. So it's simpler for me to remember to push EV when I need it.

18. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I was thinking EV could engage automatically at startup, but also disengage automatically as soon as I exceeded EV operating conditions. I should not need to 'manually switch it off', correct? That would ruin the feature.

The 'main' switch proposed to be down between your legs could be used to switch the feature off for the winter, for instance. So, between this and the above, minimal operator intervention should ever be required.

Yes, I believe this would suit my particular situation of 'level and slow' starts to most all my trips, but no, I am definitely not proposing this for everyone, nor as a new design feature. I do understand this would be of limited-use to most people, and that Toyota has probably already considered and rejected it as a feature for everyone. Just consider it a mod to a normal EV switch for a few of us.

I can build my own circuit, I was mostly interested in hearing the thoughts of people with EV experience.

Thanks for the input, both for and against. Some good stuff here! I think my plan will be to install a standard EV switch, get a little experience, and confirm that it is beneficial to me often enough to justify adding the minor circuit to make it automatically engage at startup.

Keep the inputs coming in the meantime, though. :)

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The only point I can see to the Auto EV is to not miss the window of opportunity to engage EV before ICE starts for warmup.

I sometimes use EV to prevent ICE from starting when I use my air compressor. The system voltage and current is much better in READY mode, but I don't want to warm up ICE just for that.

20. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

EV already disengages automatically if you exceed the acceleration current limits, or set max speed.