1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Headlight Control Missing from 2004 BC (#9)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Goldenberg, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 2004 instruction manual describes headlight control on pages 102 (without automatic light control) and 104 (with automatic light control).
    I have a BC (#9) package with GPS etc. but no auto light control. The twist switch has only 3 positions like p.102. Who gets the 4 postition switch (auto) pictured on page 104? I do have the sensor pictured on p. 104 unless it's a dummy. Is it just the manual that is wrong or am I missing the auto light control system?

2. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

The auto-headlights didn't make the cut, Steve. Nor did the DRL or the tire pressure monitor :(

Peace.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Is this expense-related? I know HID lamps cost a few bucks so maybe they were concerned about customers having to cough up $$$$ for frequent replacements if DRL had been implemented.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Auto headlighs standard on

the Canadian B model so are DRL. On the B there are 2 sensors on the dash.

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right, but the tradeoff is that the Canadian model doesn't use HID headlights, just regular (cheap) halogen bulbs.

6. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

I may be wrong, but I think the beauty of the xenon headlights and LED taillights are that they both give off a better light with less waste (heat), and last longer than "traditional" auto lights. Actually think the LEDs last almost forever, but can't speak for the zenon's.

Peace.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Xenon's are very expensive to replace and that is why when you see a car like the Lexus RX330 during the day, they have standard halogen DRLs but when you turn on the headlights, the HIDs come on and the DRLs turn off.

Guess they couldn't cram all of those lights into the headlight housing of the Prius.

8. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Switch only available in Canada.