1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic headlight leveler Warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by layfieldjim, Aug 23, 2010.

1. layfieldjim

layfieldjim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After driving only a short period of time, the red triangle/exclamation point warning light pops up & the symbol for the automatic headlight leveling device appears. For a cost of $95.00 the dealer told us the sensor was defective, but they would be happy to replace it for $600.00! Anybody have a similar experience or any suggestions?

C Wagner likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll probably post this below somewhere.

Thanks for this thread! I think I've come up with a perfectly acceptable fix for the RTOD headlight level "Problem" issue. If you get it, you can of course pay the dealer or an independent shop for the full electro-mechanical part. For me, that $400-600 was something to avoid. So was jacking up the car and removing the drivers' side read wheel to do the job right.

A nice alternative that I came up was to just buy another electronic level potentiometer sensor (they are on ebay/amazon for about $20) and to disconnect the permanently installed sensor from the harness connector - and to connect up the newly bought sensor to the harness connector, set it 'in the middle', test the lights/car and then zip tie the new floating connector back into the car right near the disconnected non-working assembly. The car is happy as long as you don't have a lot of weight in back, which isn't a normal situation. For ease of adjustment I went to the hardware store, bought M6 threaded (metric) stainless lock nut and wing nut hardware and put it on the threaded bolt that controls the sensor's potentiometer.

Now I can slip under the car and adjust the sensor manually with the wing nut! It works! RTOD/"Problem" goes away, headlights appear fine at night and I'm out $20 plus $5 for the stainless wingnut/washer!