1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Headlights installed & working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, May 21, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What a pain it was getting the specs on the harness. Once I had the 411 on the harness (thanks to another PC member) It took about 1.25 hours to install. I walked slowly so I would not burn up something.

Basically you take apart the lower driver dash. Take apart the steering column shroud. Take apart the upper dash. Punch the pop out plastic piece where the auto headlight sensor is supposed to be. Then remove the harness connector to the headlights. You use a multimeter to make sure you have the two correct wires. I soldered my auto-light unit wires to those two wire wires on the harness. Next you hook up constant power and ground to the unit. Last you hook up the switched power 12v+ wire to the unit. Tie everything down and clean up. Put it all back together. Enjoy the auto headlights.

A few pics...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations! I really miss the true auto headlights of my Camry. Was this a kit or did you just figure it out yourself?

If a kit, where did you get it and how much? I sure would consider something like this. It does look like a lot of work.

Thanks, Bob

3. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Haha! I never realized my Camry headlights were automatic! I wondered about it once in awhile and always sorta wished the Prius worked the same way, but never realized they were doing that! I may have to consider the Prius mod too. Make sure you post the 'where' and 'how much' to the thread. Thanks, Tom

4. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

It was a kit. I cant remember where I got it right now. Its been sitting on my to do table for 1 month. I will post more later specs later.

[​IMG]

5. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. If you just have a name or something I can do some searching.

Bob

6. b11101100

b11101100 Spectra Blue Mica Driver

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like a DEI 545T. DEI is the manufacture behind Avital, Python, Viper and Clifford brands.

7. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I believe you are absolutely correct. A Google Search gave over 200 hits. I picked out a couple:
    DEI-Accessories
    Installing on a 99 GSR

Really quite a bargain at $60 or less from several sources. It does look like it could be quite a job. Not sure I want to get that deep into the guts of my brand new car. Still, I really would like the feature.

Thanks for the ID,
    Bob

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I I walked outside and saw my car like that I would be speechless! I think it best that I dont try that kind of thing on my own car.

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Its not that bad. The car pops apart and pops back together real easy.

10. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK so here is the final deal.

Buy the above mentioned kit
    Buy some wire connector ends multi assortment pack at home depot.
    Buy some wire taps for very small wire (maybe 30 guage at the headlight harness) or get a soldering iron and solder (my choice)
    Get some electrical tape and small tie wraps.
    Tools needed are a Phillips screw driver, wire cutters, electrical tape, wire coat hanger, crimper tool, soldering iron.
    Remove left ac vent.
    Remove lower dash under wheel two screw one left one center.
    Remove shroud around wheel. Turn wheel top side left and take out screw, top side right and 2nd screw. Bottom screw by wheel movement handle.
    Split open shroud and pull bottom down.
    Unplug headlight harness left center bottom wheel (20 pin)
    Solder or tap into two wires with two more wires 18 inches long (pin 18/20 red and yellow wire that are next to each other on 2008 model) DO NOT TAP INTO SINGLE RED WIRE ON OPPOSITE END YOU WILL BURN UP YOUR CAR BCU!!!!!!!!!
    Test these wires with multi-meter if not sure, should not be +12v.
    Connect these two wires to the brown wire on the relay/kit
    Connect the blue relay (crimp connector end on for 10mm nut) end with crimper wire same relay as brown on the kit to constant ground under the dash
    Connect the red wire in the kit to constant power ( constant power as specified in the full time 12v outlet mod)
    Connect the yellow wire in kit to the 12v outlet white wire (switched 12v+)
    Punch out hole popout near window lower left where top left dash meet (where headlight sensor is supposed to be) looks like a little round hole 3/4 inch diameter.
    Run coat hanger with tiny bent end for hooking wire under dash up to the hole.
    Fish kit light sensor plug end back through hole to front of dash near left ac vent.
    Run kit switch on/off (left in OFF mode or kit will NOT work)) down to lower dash area and tie wrap behind that area.
    Plug all plugs into kit and tie wrap near vent area.
    Tie wrap all loose wires.
    Test lights by placing black paper over sensor. They will come on instantly if power to car is on. Now remove paper and they will go off withing 20 seconds aprox.
    Assemble dash.
    Enjoy your auto headlights.

sconnell80, KK6PD and RMSato like this.
  11. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Problemchild
    when I had a car with auto headlights there was a setting on the light stalk for auto, on, off. so if i wanted to manually turn the lights on durnig the day I could over ride the auto setting. Does this kit allow that, or will the lights only come on at night now? Where do you have your stalk set for these to work, on or off? I ask cause here in Calif we have to turn lights on when it is raining. I really want this so may have to see if I can find an independent garage to install for me.
    Fernsmom

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The stalk controls are untouched. They operate as normal. The kit provides headlights when dark, when wipers are on or when alarm is activated. There is an override OFF switch to the kit to cancel its use.

See the pic here. The switch will override the kit disabling it.
    Make sure the shop knows what they are doing and wil pay for any damage they cause. A "bricked" BCU wont be cheap.
    [​IMG]

13. b11101100

b11101100 Spectra Blue Mica Driver

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  14. rickasmith98

rickasmith98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would really like to have this feature. Had a Pathfinder before the Prius, and an Avalon before the Pathfinder and both had the auto lamp feature. I stiil miss driving into the garage and having the lights come on, which helps me determine how far I am from hitting the wall in the garage.

There is no way I could attempt this endeavor myself. The Prius would be totaled. Would the dealer put a kit like yours in?

15. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Maybe, but so could a good auto sound installer.

16. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK

I have a 4 day trip report with the new auto headlights. They work great and went on and off when needed. It was raining and snowing in the Sierras and very dark. I think I will put a light tint over the sensor so they come on a bit sooner but thats about it. I will report back after that is done.

17. rickasmith98

rickasmith98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How's the automatic headlights working? Still good? Am about to order the kit and wanted an update when you have time. I noticed in the ad it said that there is a 5-second delay in turning the lights on. This may seem petty, but I prefer there to be a 1-second delay when turning on and then maybe a 15 second delay in turning off. This would accomplish the same thing, eliminating on and off flutter in the system. But when I enter a tunnel, I want the lights to come on immediately. On my Nissan, it was pretty instant and then had the delay on the back end for turning off. OH, I wrote Toyota a letter complaining about not having this feature on any Prius built for the USA.

18. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

The lights come on instantly. They go off after 15 seconds.
    I removed the flip switch and installed a toggle switch and mounted it in the one of the two blank block offs near the dimmer. It looks stock and Im very happy with the system.

The over-ride switch.

Attached Files:

19. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all your work in posting, ProblemChild!

ZC1

20. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just found the kit on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System/dp/B000CJ24YY

$31.21 plus about $6 shipping.

Nick