1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic light control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jared, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [font=Arial:a9a46479ae]Hello everyone. [/font:a9a46479ae]

I just picked up my new silver Prius last Saturday on Long Island. I love it. It seems more like an airplane than a car, especially regarding the interior. I got option #5. Two questions:
    My car does not have automatic light control - you have to turn on and off the lights with the switch. Does anyone have this feature?

Also, I only got one key with the car. Dealer says he will FedEx the other one. Why is this?

Thanks

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Canada does. Automatic light control is paired with DRL. DRL is required in Canada. DRL is not compatable with HID. Since we have the HID option, we don't have the DRL option. Since Canada reqires the DRL, they don't have the HID option.

There had been some discussion on modding for DRL even with HID, possibly using the fog lamps, and possibly getting the auto-light feature. The question is, does the body ECU have the programming, though dormant, here in the US?

Now the car may not have full auto headlamps, it does have auto-off. If you have the headlights on when the car is on, turn off the car and open the door, the lights will go off until you power the car back on again.

Dealer should have given you 2 keys, but may have forgotten. Same thing happened to me. They found it, and was relieved that I could pick it up on my way home from work, as they wanted to avoid mailing a small $200 item.

3. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Danman. That is exactly the information I wanted. Since I am a Canadian, maybe I should have bought a Prius in Canada to get the auto light control. At least it is nice knowing that I have automatic shut off.

This is a great forum.

Jared

4. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Danman,

Supplement to yesterday's question.
    Last night I left the car's running lights on all night by mistake and discovered the switch was in the middle position this morning. No effect on car or battery at all. Would auto shut off have shut off these lights too?
    Thanks. You are not be any chance an automotive engineer like my brother in law are you?

Jared

5. rcroft

rcroft New Member

I have discovered that if you turn on the lights when the car is on, then they turn off automatically when the car is turned off. However, if the car is off when you turn on the lights, they stay on.

Although I have never tried it, perhaps turning the light switch from the on position to the middle running lights position when the car is off will make the running lights turn on and stay on. Maybe that's what you did.

6. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car was on when I turned on the lights to full headlights. The engine came on but only for a minute. Then I turned the light switch to the middle postion for a while and left it there all night by mistake. Probably it shut off automatically since the battery was not drained. By the way, I just noticed last night how the interior lights fade on and off. Also, the glove box has a perfectly fiitted rubber mat. It is this attention to detail that is most impressive. This is an elegant car.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    =) There are also "mats" in the dash console box and upper glovebox

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The DRL get their 12V feed from the same relay as the headlights. Same for the parking and fog lights. So, auto off will work with all lights controlled by the stalk.

No, not an automotive engineer or technician. My dad used to be an automechanic, but got out of that mid 80's. Because of him, and natural curiosity on how things work, I understand the mechanics of cars. Also have an EE degree, and provide support for networking OS and email systems.

But the biggest reason I have lots of answers is because I went and downloaded the repair manual in its bits and pieces from TechInfo, and read quite a bit of it. When questions come up, I use the search feature of Acrobat Reader.

9. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the interior dome light is left in the "ON" position after the vehical has been turned off it will stay on for 15 minutes. It will then turn off.

If you have SKS, the light will turn on as you walk up to the car.

At least, this was my experience when I left my dome light on, and I took the garbage out one evening. As I walked passed my car, the dome light faded on and then as I walked away, it faded off. Then I realized that the dome light switch was left "ON."

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg\";p=\"96123)</div>
    Uh, no. The body ECU controls the dome by its ground when on DOOR. When you put it to ON, it is straight ground. 12V comes unswitched straight from the dome fuse (hence the name of the fuse).

Now the car WILL turn off the dome if you leave a door open. Unfortunately, I could not find the information about the dome shutting off in the owner's manual or the wiring diagram. Dome light stays on for 15 seconds if you don't lock the doors, otherwise they turn off right away.

Found it under customize parameters in repair manual and in NCF.