1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Oct 13, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

anyone know?

2. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    (maybe so the driver doesn't easily accidentally put the window up on of the passenger's fingers. )

I think the real answer is just cost.

don't wish for this, I can't stand the auto. window on the driver's side!

rpm

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_<
    I have little use for automatic windows.
    They add cost, break more easily, and are more expensive to repair/replace.
    I wish they were optional on the Prius.
    (This applies to the automatic mirrors as well.)

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think that it's for safety. Similar to having to have a power window switch that must be pulled up. That is, if the passenger windows were automatic, it would be possible that a child would get injured. Once that window starts up, there's no stopping it.

5. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I agree - my son is constantly playing with the windows - up and down, up and down. Thank God for the window lock.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Windows with a one-touch up function will automatically retract to the lowest position and a resistance is encountered. The same is for one touch power moonroofs.

7. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Cost. I wish all the window were auto up/down.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

AMEN!

9. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The question is how much would it envolve to make them auto up/down? My Jag had them and I love it.

I know the switches would have to be replaced, but, as in the Jaguar, are the windows controled by the computer? Would it take a reprogramming for the computer to recognize the auto up/down function? Reprogramming being the nail in the coffin.

In the Jaguar it was all computer controlled. All you had to do was tell the puter this is the driver's window and hit the button. LOL if you wanted, the window button might be programmed to run the windshield wipers.

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would imagine the one-touch window has some sort of sensor to tell if it's taking too much force to close the window, which probably adds some cost.

Personally, I don't like the auto-up -- if I want the window half-open, I have to keep fiddling with it because it wants to go all the way up or down.

11. jammin012

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The auto window switch, from my experience, is a 2 stage switch. If you hold it up the window goes up until you let go, just like normal. If you pull the switch all the way up the window goes all the way up, same as down. You shouldn't have to fiddle with the switch to get the window in the position you want.

The cool part is when you want the window all the way open or closed you just hit the switch and forget about it. I didn't like them when they first hit the market but now I can't understand why all cars don't have them.

Seems to me if you were worried about a child hurting themselves in a car window the auto up/down would the easy choice to make. Yes there are sensors that protect anyone from getting caught in the window, quite sensitive I might add. Where as the manual lift I don't think there's a sensor, so if your child stuck their head out and pulled on the switch it would deffienetly close on them. Or you can just use the wondow lockout feature.

What if it's hot and you want to open all the windows? Just push 4 buttons and tada all the windows are down, you start driving and pull all 4 switches and tada all the windows are up.

I wonder if I can go into the door and switch the connectors to see if the passenger window will work with the driver side auto switch..... If it does then it's just a matter of buying 6 new switches.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like someone wants fins, and a clear dome roof, and a big high spoiler, and ...
    Ask Homer Simpson's brother what the result is.

You may have had it on your Jag, but how much is a hybrid Jag?

13. jammin012

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well they don't make one yet. And I think if they do, the offset of the hybrid system wouldn't be worth it. Hence the Escalade Hybrid, or Hummer Hybrid. I look at a hybrid as getting great gas mileage, not just non-polluting. To get 3 more MPG's from a hybrid system just doesn't seem worth it. Switching from the Jag to the Prius I've easily doubled my MPG and lowered my fuel cost by half. A Jaguar hybrid, though plush and opulent, would not see the big MPG increase as would be hoped.

Now onto the windows. Bad news, there’s only 1 plug for the entire bank of switches so no joy on replacing them. I guess I’ll have to wait for the 2010 Prius to get auto windows.

14. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My point was if Toyota fitted every accessory to the Prius that everyone on here wants or misses from a previous car the price of the Prius would be huge. Even making automatic windows as an option would add to the cost for everyone because the wiring loom would be more complex, heavier and more expensive even if you didn't have automatic windows.
    The drivers window is auto up and down and all the windows can be closed after the car is shut down until a door is opened. That's pretty good I reckon.

Toyota don't have auto windows on all 4 doors and Jag don't make a hybrid. That's life.