1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

automatically resetting mileage after filling up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sleeplessmama, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sleeplessmama

sleeplessmama New Member

Maybe half the time after I fill up, my mileage will automatically be set back to 0 (not the actual odometer or tripA/trip B, but the tank mileage that appears on the consumption screen) - leaving the MPG as it was before. Sometimes I have to push the reset button and then that resets the MPG to 0 also. I would love to keep the MPG counter running but can't figure out how to do that if I have to push the reset button. Couldn't find it in the manual. Anyone know?
    TIA!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, there's no way to change the function (unless someone discovered a service screen i haven't heard about yet). the miles will reset when you pump more than 3 gallons of gas, but in the 2006 (and 2007? has anyone checked?) the mileage will not reset. In the 2004 and 2005, both items reset.

So, you've got several options. if you want both to keep running, never pump more than 3 gallons at one visit to the station. If you want the mileage to remain, never hit the reset button (but if you want the miles to reset, always pump more than 3 gallons).

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleeplessmama @ Nov 29 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]355221[/snapback]</div>
    Unless you have some early model 2006 that didn't get the change yet, the consumption mileage should never reset to zero. From what I've read, this was how it worked on earlier models but not ours. I've never had mine go back to zero all by itself when I fill up. Since the car isn't meant to do this, I suspect that's why it isn't in the book.

Or am I missing something? Probably.

4. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The miles on the MFD are supposed to reset automatically to 0 when you fill it up. I didn't think mine did that because when I start my car up after the fill-up, I always see the 'old' mileage. But I've read on this board that it doesn't instantaneously reset to 0 when you fill it up - you actually have to have the car move for some distance or some seconds before it resets.

I usually hit 'reset' when I fill up to set the miles and MPG back so they're only measuring my current tank, but the night before Thanksgiving, while driving up to my son's place, I saw I wouldn't have quite enough gas to get there and drive on Thanksgiving itself. I decided to add about 3 gallons at a rest stop on the Mass Pike to be sure I was 'safe' and to be able to fill up at a local gas station near my son's place for the trip back. So I didn't hit 'reset'. I had the MFD off (my other son was driving and finds it distracting), but the next morning I saw that it HAD automatically reset the mileage on the MFD.

So, if you want the mileage to go back to 0 on the MFD but the MPG to remain as is, just let it reset automatically - it WILL reset by the time you pull out of the gas station, in my experience.

5. sleeplessmama

sleeplessmama New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 29 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]355224[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, strange - I do have a 2006 (and always pump >3 gal). I really like the auto-reset feature, wish it did it every time!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 29 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]355230[/snapback]</div>
    Ah-HA! Patience is not a virtue that I have - if it doesn't reset immediately when I turn on the car I push the button. I will try waiting as you suggested - thanks!

6. aparks1569

aparks1569 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleeplessmama @ Nov 29 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]355231[/snapback]</div>

As has been said, my 06 does not reset MPG unless I hit the reset button. The miles do reset after a fillup, but only after I've driven approximately 1 mile.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to have a lifetime mpg. I didn't know that the mileage on the screen resets to zero when I fill up (initially when I bought the car). So I was blaming my passengers saying they have accidently hit the reset (they play with the audio all the time) :rolleyes: So I thought they resetted the mpg as well and then I hit reset a couple of times. (first 1500 miles or so). After reading the manual, I realized it was not my friends' fault that the mileage drops to zero and that I have messed up the mpg by hitting reset :(

I didn't reset my mpg after that, now I have about 4000 miles. I wish I never resetted the mpg... :unsure:

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I always hate threads like this, just because it's so hard to keep track of what a person is saying. mileage is used, at different times, to both indicate miles driven and mpg, making a thread like this very, very bad :-p

That being said, i think it's best to just keep a little log on a per tank basis, and reset it every time. That way, you can strive during each tank to see the mpg increase, where as if you had put on 5k miles it'll be very difficult to have an effect on that number.

9. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 29 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]355258[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that the terminology is confusing!

I DO hit 'reset' with each fillup (with the exception of the single 'partial fillup' I dd last week), and I keep my displayed and calculated numbers on a spreadsheet. That way, I can calculate 'spot' MPG for each tank and compare to the 'spot' MFD MPG. But I can also calculate 'weighted average' MPG and MFD MPG, and compare the 'delta' between calculated MPG and displayed MPG for both the 'spot' and 'cumulative' numbers. So I can have my cake and eat it too - I get the effect of 'never hit reset' and 'always hit reset' at the same time. But then I tend to be geeky about calculations and statistics!