1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automobile Club Slammin' my beloved Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Sep 5, 2007.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I've been a member of AAA for 30yrs but these people really try my metal:

http://www.aaa-calif.com/westways/0907/fea...beinggreen.aspx

In particular:

Hybrid Gas-Electric Vehicles
    The News: Automakers now offer more hybrids, in a greater variety. No longer restricted to small cars like Toyota’s Prius ...

So first they slam the Prius' size classification. Equally disturbing to me is how AAA almost revels in the fact that Gas Hogs from GM will be finally able to show off their hybrid label. Wheee! My Land boat now gets an extra 2mpg ! ! Oh joy. AAA never has the nerve to insult the reader with how horrible that Suburban sized joke's mileage will be, once hybridized.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read much worse. Funny how the Prius is considered large in Europe, but small here.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It looks, from your quote, like they are using the word "small" as a comparative term, rather than as a formal car size category.

On the other hand AAA lobbies hard against the environment. I get my road service coverage as a line item on my regular car insurance, much cheaper than AAA. Or you could consider the Better World Auto Club.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't be surpised if AAA uses "rental car" categories...

I mean I was looking up rental cars the other day and I was looking at Budget. Here's their categories (other companies have similar hierarchy)

Subcompact - Aveo or similar
    Compact - Accent or similar (I thought the Accent's the same size as the Aveo?)
    Intermediate - Focus or similar (a Focus is an intermediate car?)
    Standard - G6 or similar (finally, something's correct)
    Full-Size - Taurus or similar (then what's the Crown Vic or Avalon called?)

5. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most of AAA's members are Big 3 owners who use their roadside assistance extensively. AAA doesn't make much money off us because of the reliability of our vehicles, so AAA doesn’t have a lot of good things say about Toyotas.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 5 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]507656[/snapback]</div>
    I kinda wondered that after the fact. Makes sense, what with all the encouragement to get out there in the 35foot motor home ... while pullin' the CJ5 (used to have one) in tow.

7. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Sep 5 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]507719[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point, one I would not have thought of. I've had Toyotas for 8 years and they have never left me stranded anywhere. Can't say that for any of my other cars.

8. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Sep 5 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]507719[/snapback]</div>
    But wait... :blink: they make TONS of money off Toyotas, don't they... the big three actually break down and require services much more often. For us, they take the $$$ and never have to show up. I've never had AAA, so maybe my understanding is wrong, but I thought it was essentially an insurance policy for flats, break-downs, lock-outs, etc. You'd think Toyotas would be their best friend once the roadside assistance runs out (yes, my 2005 came with that and newer ones didn't). :rolleyes:

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Sep 6 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]507826[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but people who drive reliable cars don't buy roadside insurance. Take yourself: You drive Toyotas and you don't have AAA. So they make no money from you. :)

10. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OMG the dealer gave me a loaner car it was a matrix! it is smaller than my baby prius! inside the matrix was cramped i was like i miss my prius its so roomy inside and its look makes it look small on the outside but is big inside. AAA is wrong! i have AAA so i dont have to wait in long lines at DMV :) and a backup for my roadside from my prius and durango becasue sometimes AAA is quicker to respond

11. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 5 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]507759[/snapback]</div>
    I have a family plan because of kids driving. The only time one of our Toyotas needed help was when my daughter got a flat alongside the interstate. (I kept meaning to teach her how to change a tire)

Although I would have bet that if she'd waited awhile, being a blonde college student, she could have had a few volunteers for help. :p

12. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Sep 6 2007, 09:35 AM) [snapback]507988[/snapback]</div>
    On the other hand, maybe it's just as well she could call AAA! Who knows what type of "volunteers" she would encounter.

AAA: Peace of mind for Dad and Mom, that's the ticket!

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 5 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]507590[/snapback]</div>
    Have you seen cars in Europe? Compared to many, it is big.

15. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you drive a Honda or Toyota, AAA is a waste of money.

Why pay out for something you are very unlikely to ever need?

Harry

16. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 5 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]507705[/snapback]</div>
    Crown Vic, Town Car, etc are called "Luxury" - I rented a Town Car two years ago in Vancouver, BC when my wife and I took her parents up to Canada on the train from Seattle. We got in the Town Car and drove down to the ferry to Victoria. I love Town Cars, they are comfortable and quiet and are nice for how big they are. Too bad Ford won't make them anymore.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Sep 6 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]508016[/snapback]</div>
    As for Toyota quality, I agree, and understand the point regarding breakdown unliklihood. But as someone posted above, there IS the flat tire scenerio ... and I KNOW my wife aint gona get out an take care of it. Still, I will be shopping for another company other than AAA, like 'Better World' for towing.

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the info on BWC. I'll definitely look into switching to them when our current AAA membership epxires.

I really don't care that much for AAA, other than the fact that I get 20% off when I buy paint at Sherwin Williams... :)

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, the Prius is a small car on the outside --- it's 3 inches shorter in length than the Corolla. It's the hatchback design that makes the interior more spacious.

But the size of small cars has grown over the years. When the Corolla and Civic first arrived in America in the late sixties, they were around 140 something inches long. Then they grew to 150 something inches (my 1987 Civic was 158 inches), then 160 something inches, then to the now 170 something inches.

20. TomC

TomC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife mostly drives the Prius as her commute vehicle, but she forgot that she used to know how to change a tire :) We pay Farmers Insurance only $4.40 per 6 months for towing coverage, so you might check with your company. That was well worth it when she last had a flat, about 5 years ago 500 miles from home.