1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automotive biofeedback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmyrose, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a more accurate term than "interactive" for the relationship of monitoring the MFD energy screen and the changing of one's driving habits? This function alone I believe does more than anything to make me a more efficient driver; I wish it was standard on every vehicle sold here. I did NOT drive with efficiency in mind prior to 7/14/06. The fact that my wife called the drop-down handle above her window in our past vehicles her "OH S**T!!" handle is a clue to my past driving habits. They improved after my kids were born, but probably only to marginally safe. I was one of the drivers that is typically complained about here. I hope this doesn't sound too "born-again". :D

Back in the 70's, I researched and experimented quite a bit with biofeedback - learning to control/regulate autonomous/involuntary bodily functions (heartbeat, respiration, etc.) by means of external indicators. I trained myself to be able to do this consciously, and even though I don't regularly practice this much any more (or the meditation that went with it), I still retain the ability to do this, though not as effectively.

So, "automotive biofeedback" seems a bit clunky to me, but I haven't come across a more elegant term.

Any suggestions?

2. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 27 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]293243[/snapback]</div>
    I too have greatly improved my driving since getting my Prius. I also think it has a LOT to do with looking over at the MDF and challenging myself to increase the MPG figure during each trip.

I don't think "biofeedback" is right though, because nothing is coming from a biological organism (bio).

What about "Efficacy-Feedback" or "E-F" for short?

3. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    as·sim·i·la·tion
    n.

The amalgamation and modification of newly perceived information and experiences into the existing cognitive structure

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Jul 27 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]293266[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, a fellow Northern NJ owner.
    Not sure I agree, being that we're the biological organism whose behavior is changing. I do think I used a poor analogy though, since the feedback mechanism is more conscious than autonomous; so I don't think "biofeedback" is right for a different reason. :)
    I like Efficacy-Feedback, but I think that might gain as many blank stares as mine would...

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be a snot about it, but would the word 'learning' be close to what you're looking for? You're presented with some new information, and you change your thinking and behaviour because of it.

6. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good definition, although "Assimilation" sounds Borg-like. "Not that there's amything wrong with that..." :)
    "Learning" is also correct, but neither of them seems to encompass that interactive, almost instantaneous and continuous relationship.
    Or, I'm just too freakin' picky...

7. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 27 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]293306[/snapback]</div>
    The Borg are Hybrids also......

8. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Jul 27 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]293351[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point!!

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Jul 27 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]293351[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 27 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]293378[/snapback]</div>
    ...Resistance is futile...except to recharge batteries! :lol:

10. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 31 2006, 05:12 AM) [snapback]294984[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another term?

I'm practicing the art of "Feather-Footing!"

11. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One could call it "responsive" driving (RD). Responsive being defined as:
    A bodily process occurring due to the effect of some foregoing stimulus or agent.

Some time ago, I did start a thread on "Does the Prius calm drivers?" That thread produced some interesting comments.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...=calming+effect

12. molgrips

molgrips Member

I call it "driving like a granny". Cos it's what I seem to do, at least on short trips where my MPG is at risk of dipping below 57 mpukg :)

I used to drive at 80mph on motorways (the same speed as 50% of the traffic), but I'd only get 53 or so mpukg, which was worse than my previous car, so I dropped to 70mph (the speed limit) and I now get 58-60mpukg.. I don't know what my old car did at these kind of speeds because I never tried it for a whole tank.