1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

automotive computer

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by dk_brookdale, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dk_brookdale

dk_brookdale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was considering getting an automotive computer such as the ScanGuage. Yes, I want more guages to read :). Actually I think this might be useful to monitor things like horsepower, engine temperature and especially Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Do any of you have experience with this or any other automotive computer or diagnostic scan tool that you can recommend?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes the scan gauge is very popular here. So much so, that even the PC store sells it. Search the entire website (not just the v forum) and you'll find numerous threads about it and what it can do specifically with the Prius.

I have an ultra-gauge which is about 1/2 the price but also limited to what it can do in comparison to the scangauge. It does have more gauge possibilities than I will ever use and covers the biggies: hv battery, ICE rpm, ICE temperature, 12V battery, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get me wrong, the new screen in the Prius C is very nice. Looks like they made it bright, clear and with color, definently a step in the right direction. But it also seems to me? Like a lot of the screens or options are just wasted or redundant information.

Do you really need or want a screen comparing the "money" you are saving driving the Prius C to a hypothetical programmed other car?

Toyota should take notice of how many people almost automatically buy a scan guage. Seems to me, that is the information people are seeking.

Bright, colorful and admittedly improved. BUT...would Toyota have hit a homerun if they offered something closer to a built in Scan Guage?

I think the trick is to offer displays that make it so owners don't feel they need a scan guage.

1 person likes this.
  4. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's probably unlikely that Toyota will ever include access to diagnostic and error codes in their display.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're probably right...but I do think the popularity of The Scan Guage could be used as tool in creating new guages or informational display options.

People buy and use Scan Guage for a lot of reasons beyond access to diagnostic and error codes.

1 person likes this.
  6. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have ultra-guage as well but it does not show "hv battery"; which setting it is?
    I can see, RPM, coolant temp sensor, 12V battery, there are plenty of other information that might not be of use to anybody.

The drawback of ultra-gage is that it can not disable reverse beep (to one beep) as apparently scangauge.

7. dk_brookdale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am considering possibilities other than the stand alone OBD scan tools like ScanGuage.

Has anyone tried the Mac app Movi (uses wiki, usb or bluetooth interface)?

What about IOS apps such as DashCommand (requires OBD-2 connector)?

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    1 person likes this.