1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux and USB ports with new head unit, and backup camera issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Weirderal, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,

I just replaced the head unit in my 2012 Prius v Three with a 9" Pioneer DMH-WT3800NEX. The Android Auto, Bluetooth, car settings, radio, etc. are all working flawlessly. The USB port also works, still.
    I did this using the recommended install kit on Crutchfield. All done with harnesses; didn't splice a single wire. (And thank goodness.)

However, I have a few remaining issues.

1. My backup camera isn't working. I didn't yet just try to plug the camera into the "2nd camera input" port rather than the "rear camera input" plug, but I'd rather ask if that's the right move before I take apart the dash to try that, since it's a pain in the nice person to disconnect everything.

2-3. These are more aesthetic than truly practical questions, but I thought I'd ask...

2. I hate that the AUX port no longer works while the USB does. I still want access to an aux port. Now, for a solution, I know I could remove one of the blank panels and leave a 3.5mm extension dangling while connected to the harness, but I'd love a matching pass-through port. Does anyone know of one of those?
    B0BZD5KX48
    ^can't paste link, search that on Amazon
    That has the matching front panel look I want with a dust cover, but the back is the OEM connector type. I just want 3.5mm front and back for a clean look. Crutchfield claims the kit doesn't include any provision for the aux port to work.

3. It would also be nice if I could replace the existing USB port with just a USB port, rather than being stuck with a now-forever-dead aux port. Is there a standalone matching USB port design? Most of my searches are coming up with 12v adapters.

Thanks in advance. Want to get this to 100% before I recycle the boxes and packing materials from the install.

#1 Weirderal, Jul 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  2. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well, seeing as I can't delete this, I'll speak what I learned.

Backup camera was a singular connection with the harnesses I missed.

2-3 appear hopeless. Looks like I'm using the OEM USB port and then I pulled out the blank piece to look an aux cord extension from behind the head unit into the cabin.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, upon my first start up for the day, I have to let the car run the engine till its warm and then shuts off for the backup camera to work from a cold start. Once the engine is warm and for the rest of the day, the backup camera turns on as soon as I put it in reverse.

Weirderal likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed additional USB ports for my car so I would always have them. They are powered by an additional power unit so my cell phone can go into fast charge mode no problem.

Weirderal likes this.
  5. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With the system fully running now, all I have left is to see how I can clean up the GPS antenna cord...it's definitely not a clean look coming across the right side of the dash, but I definitely don't want to go through the hassle of lifting up the entire top of the dash. Don't know if there's any alternatives, though.

I'm also considering adding a compact subwoofer under the passenger seat, but I do not know what the easiest way to mount it would be. I don't want to drill through the floor, in case I'm not the final owner of this car.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I highly suggest this unit. It works, easy to install, no drilling, fits under my seat.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

Cerwin-Vega VPAS10 10" Powered Active Subwoofer Enclosure

9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tried posting the link and photo. But you can find it on amazon

10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And it really sounds good!

11. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No drilling? It doesn't shake around, or move during hard turns?

12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, it is heavy and fits snuggly underneath. You could screw an "L" shaped bracket to one side of it and to the floor and that would keep it from shifting around. But I think you will find that the dimensions and weight pretty much keep it in place underneath a seat. Plus, most areas underneath a seat have a "well" like lip to keep things from rolling around.

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How are you driving the sub?

14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran my hot (power) from the 12v battery and along the side behind the driver seat. Then I grounded the unit to one of the seat bolts. Speaker wires ran through center console and up into the back of the head unit. The blue/white wire from the car is the one to tap into to make the amp power off when the ignition is off. My Alpine unit had connectors for the cables that came with the speaker. Took about 20 minutes to wire up.

Air_Boss likes this.