1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AUX-BOX best solution?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Virodeath, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok just about finished buying my hardware for my in car system and have a question. I am thinking about the best solution for getting my sound from my computer to my Stereo in my Prius.

Should I use the AUX-BOX and use a small phono style jack to RCA cable to connect or?? Do I need to wory about the power level from the computer blowing up my Prius stereo? My Prius has the 9 speaker system with the changer/tape player if it matters (need to know info.).

Sorry for all the questions just don't want to blowup my new car! :D

Viro

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Aux-box will work, but not very well. You would have better luck with it if you had the non-changer radio. In yours, it will pretend to be a cd-changer and the Prius cannot recognise more than one changer. So, when the car starts up, if the cd was already active, it will play cds. But, if you attempt to switch TO the cd, it will go to the Aux-box. After that, it will not use the cd-changer again untill the car is power cycled. There is also no way I have found to have the aux-box active from start up. If you can live with this, then the aux-box is the cheapest solution for you. Otherwise, go for the vais soundlinq. It acts as a minidisk and is co-comatable with the cd-changer, but very pricey.

Power wise, I doubt you can mess up the car with computer audio. To be safe, use the headphone jack on the computer to send the audio to the car. That should have the same power levels as a walkman or mp3 player for which the aux-box was intended.

Are you running a computer off an inverter? I have had some trouble with my laptop making nasty noises on the headphone line when run from an inexpensive inverter.