1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux In for 2004/2005 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusInsight, Oct 4, 2006.

1. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

Ok. I am looking for an Aux In for a 2004 prius.

I am aware of the DICE, Vais.

Peripheral also has an Aux In that is supposed to work:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=749
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=848

questions:

what has you experience been?

have you needed a ground loop isolator?

does anyone have a preference or a warning?

does anyone prefer a wired fm modulator relay for an aux in to a directly wired interface?

thanks.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the DICE and I use the AUX input for my portable XM radio. I need to use a Ground Loop Isolator.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Oct 4 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]328141[/snapback]</div>
    Prius isn't listed in the "Application Guide". I don't know if it will work or not.

Others have used the PAC AUX-BOX. It requires two cables, the AB-TOY and the AB-TOYT.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Oct 4 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]328141[/snapback]</div>
    I had an unwired FM modulator, but too many stations on my dial here made it impossible, so I switched to a PAC aux box (I have the single CD stereo -- this won't work with the JBL from what I hear). Basically, it spoofs a CD changer, so I hit the disc button again to get the aux input. Comes with a nice long miniplug cable, or RCA inputs. I went with the long cable and run it to the flip out cupholder when I have the mp3 player in the car. When I get more motivated (i.e. have time) I'm planning to run the cable under the carpet and into the console for a more finished look. As it is, it comes out beside the lower glove box, and I can coil it into the glove box when I'm not using it. One of us is bothered by seeing the wire, and one of us isn't, if you know what I mean, so that may factor into your install plans.

No problems so far, it was a little confusing as to the cables I needed since in theory this isn't supported, some things I read said I needed both an AB-TOY and AB-TOYT cable, but an AB-TOYX worked for me. I was able to install myself just removing the lower glove box and the vent unit to the right of the radio. It is a little tricky to plug in the cable into the socket on the rear of the radio, but if I can do it, I suspect most anyone can. I used some wire ties to fasten it into place and ties the cables down. The only scary part is prying the vent loose, good instructions, though, to be found here.

I picked the PAC since it was cheaper (under $100), and I didn't need iPod integration since I don't use an iPod, and figured just a plain aux audio input was more flexible in case I decide to get a portable satellite radio unit or something.

Sounds great, I use an MP3 player off of batteries, so no ground issues. If there were, the big box stores have simple solutions.

A wired FM modulator would not have as good a sound quality, but that really depends on your tastes. If you are listening to sports or talk most of the time, then it might be a better alternative.

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Oct 5 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]328377[/snapback]</div>
    PAC claims their interface does not work. I also have read users here having good success with the PAC. The AB-TOYT does not seem to be available...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 5 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]328385[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for a very nice answer. I agree with your logic. I will have to find the AB-TOYX...

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Oct 5 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]328633[/snapback]</div>
    I got the box and cable from www.thebettersource.com, no affiliation, but I have to admit, I sort of picked them at random after googling, so there might be better deals, ymmv. Good luck with your install.

7. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 5 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]328774[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for your input. Have you been happy with the Pac Aux-Box?

How do you turn on the Aux-Box to allow audio in?

Thanks

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Oct 5 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]328798[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I'm very happy with it. The lack of an Aux input was my biggest complaint about my '05, and this fixed it. I do have to crank the volume a bit on the MP3 player, but levels are fine, and it sounds great to me. Well, not as great as the aftermarket Alpine I had in one of my previous cars, but at least as good as CD. Much much clearer than trying to use an FM adapter.

The PAC box "acts like" a CD changer, you hit the Disc button again to toggle between the CD and the AUX input. The MFD always displays something like Disc 1, Track 1 when the aux input is selected.

The box itself is hidden behind the dash, there's no interaction with it. It has some DIP switches that need to be set according to instructions with the specific cable when you install it, but other than that, it's just there. I have the cable with the miniplug coming out from under the dash, and I do plan to reroute my cable some time. As it is now, I put it in the glove box when not in use, and the car appears totally stock then.

9. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 6 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]328866[/snapback]</div>
    One last question...

Does the Aux-Box work when using the MODE button on the steering wheel? Does it follow the builtin CD in order when you use the MODE button?

Thanks

10. yakky

yakky New Member

I was using the PAC Aux Box in my 05 for about six months now. Just got my DICE so I pulled it out. Sound quality was great, however it did not work well with my Nav/6 disc combo. The factory in dash changer and the aux box would fight for CD1. If the car was left on "cd changer" and you powered the car on, you would get access from the CD changer. If you went to FM and then back to CD you would get the AUX BOX. The big gotcha was you couldn't get back to the factory changer until you powered the car off. From what I have read it works great with the single changer.

I'm selling my unit as I don't need it anymore, $50 including both cables to make it work with the Prius.

11. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yakky @ Oct 9 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]329978[/snapback]</div>
    I am curious, why would the Aux-Box fight for CD1 with the factory in dash 6 disk changer, but not fight for the same location with the factory 1 disck CD player?

12. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 5 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]328385[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a Pac-Box and AB-TOYX cable. The TOYX cable has three wires on the Radio Side. Did you use all three or just one of the three (with the connector that fits that back of the radio)?

With your AB-Toyx cable were all of the wires attached to the cable on the PAC-Box side of the cable? THe cable I received had the brown wires not connected to the connector. Is this the way it is supposed to be or is this cable defective?