1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux In with sat nav

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Habu, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Habu

Habu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys. I collected my new T4 yesterday and I'm delighted except that the brochure mentioned cassette player and voice activated CD changer is not in the car. I guess they've changed the JBL system. Anyway, I plugged my TomTom Go 910 sat nav into the Aux In to get the instructions through the speakers. Fine, that works well but there is 'noise' too. The Prius manual says that if you get 'noise' then run the device off its own power and not through the accessory point. The TomTom 910 doesn't last long on its own power and really should be on charge the whole time. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the 'noise' whilst keeping the sat nav plugged in, say some kind of core filter?

cheers

Habu

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What you're hearing has been talked about much on here... the basic problem is that the ground for the unit and for the audio are slightly different, causing some feedback. What you want is called a "ground loop isolator", which is able to eliminate this difference and clean up the noise.

Most of the discussions on here have centered around isolators for iPods, so you'll have to find one that works with your kit - most of the ones i find doing a simple search have standard RCA plugs, not the 1/8 inch plugs likt you need for the AUX port.

3. Habu

Habu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That looks about right. Of course, i hate endorsing any specific products (especially if i don't have any experience with them) - mainly i don't want to get blamed if they don't work out quite right! So buyer beware and all that!