1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AUX plug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davidtoo, May 7, 2006.

1. davidtoo

davidtoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Alhtough I have a Monster adapter/FM transmitter for my MiniPod, since the radio is so sensitive most of the FM stations are not available. I would like to plug my MiniPod into the AUX adapter, but haven't been able to locate an iPod to mini-plug cable for the AUX adapter. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks.

0emissions

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About $3.00 at Radio Shack, Best Buys, Circuit City. You need a double ended male earphone mini-jack. I got one about 12" long. It will plug into the earphone or the dock. If you want the ipod on the dash or somewhere else, longer cables are available, 3' and 6' long.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a nice long one from RS the other day to finally try my iPod with the Prius. There is some TERRIBLE feedback from somewhere! Yikes.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 6 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]251007[/snapback]</div>
    Is the feedback only happening when the iPod is being powered by the power outlet? If so, you need a ground loop isolator. See http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=228364.

This NEEDS to be in a FAQ somewhere. John1701a, you gonna add it?

5. davidtoo

davidtoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(0 emissions @ May 6 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]251002[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! That was a qauick response. Thanks to all for the great info. I'll stop by Radio Shack tomorrow. Has anyone tried the Dension ice>Link Plus iPod integration product?

2006 Silver Prius, Pkg. #6
    (ordered on Friday, arrived on Saturday - went through an auto broker)

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ May 6 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]251010[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks cwerdna. I am pretty sure I was just playing the iPod off of batteries - but I'm not sure. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info. If nothing else, I'll put it in my pathetic little FAQ.

Yup. That's it of course. I could plug and unplug the power adapter, and make the hum come and go. Sure sounds great without the power adapter! So RS sells a ground loop isolator here. And it says it has a 1/8" plug adapter??? Does this work with the ipods?

Off to edit my FAQ.

7. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

not to nitpick, but what you're hearing isn't feedback. you're hearing noise. feedback is a sound being continuously re-amplified, like if you point a microphone at the speaker that's playing the sound coming from the microphone.

the noise stems from the fact that audio system of the car connot be electrically isolated from the rest of the car, since the car is self-contained. the radio shack filter creates isolation between the *power* going into your ipod and the *audio* coming out, which achieves the same effect.

the real questions is, why didn't toyota build an isolater into the jack in the first place?

sounds like a good mod to me!

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samkusnetz @ May 7 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]251105[/snapback]</div>
    Don't apologize for nit-picking! That's what I do best, and of course you are correct. :) OK... info added to my FAQ with a link to the RS product. I'll see if I can integrate it into the outlet in the console the next time I have the console out.