1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AUX port with an iPod - distortion?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MattD, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have my ipod connected through the dock connector into the aux port (which means I have a line level output going out of the ipod into the aux port -- instead of headphone level.)

I also put an inline ground loop isolator. So far so good.

The problem I'm having is that certain tracks are causing clipping --sometimes its the highs, sometimes it's the low end -- but they play fine elsewhere. Is this an artifact of the JBL Premium system being not so premium, or perhaps another issue?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

- Matt

2. c4

c4 Active Member

Easiest thing to do is to re-rip the tracks causing disortion and make sure their dynamic range is the same as the rest of the "good" tracks.. Any good ripping program should have an option or tool for level balancing.. In the mean time, you can try turning *down* the volume on the ipod until the distortion disappears and then turning up the volume on the car..

3. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I mentioned above, the iPod is on a line level, not headphone out -- which means the volume control has no effect.

I should also mention that I already harmonized the volume levels. This seems to be a dynamic range problem with my Prius distorting certain ranges.

- Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 7 2006, 05:11 AM) [snapback]298958[/snapback]</div>

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It seems that you know a thing or two about audio, which is good... while i wouldn't encourage piracy on the boards here, it's really hard for us to be able to help out without being able to hear/test the problem ourselves. Perhaps you could post a small list of the songs where you hear this problem (so if anyone has them they can test it on their system through an iPod or CD or something), or maybe even create a short audio sample with some of the frequencies that you have problems with?

basically, we need to come up with some way we can uniformly try to hear what you're hearing in our cars.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I get the same thing.
    I'm not really impressed with the sound system in the Prius.

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed a bit of distortion (static sound) on a couple of tracks that I burned from iTunes last night. 3 out of 5 are OK but 2 have distortion. I do not hear it when listening through headphones.

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt Domenici @ Aug 7 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]299254[/snapback]</div>
    As an audio guy, I'm curious. I don't own an iPod, so explain to me why the fact that you are using a line-level output means the volume control has no effect. Is it prefader on your iPod?

Also, with respect to the dynamic range issue, are you sure it isn't just the compression of the MP3 limiting the dynamic range?

8. Kalmairn

Kalmairn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt Domenici @ Aug 7 2006, 01:10 AM) [snapback]298907[/snapback]</div>
    I have my iPod connected using just the headphone jack. I also have the output set to maximum volume. I've never tried connecting through the dock connector, although I was tempted to figure out how to do it.

I did experience distortion problems when I first tried connecting to the AUX port. The distortion sounded almost like clipping or digitalization/packetizing, sometimes the top, bottom or both would be chopped off. Changing the output volume on the iPod did not change the clarity; the problem didn't occur using a normal or mp3 CD, so I knew it wasn't the stereo itself.

I replaced the headphone cable with one from a set of medium-quality Altec Lansing computer speakers and the problem went away. I'd suggest finding a good quality, insulated headphone cable, connect to the headphone jack with the dock connector removed and see if that helps at all - if it does, move forward from there.

Hope that helps!

Kal.