1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auxiliary Cord or Stereo Cable for an MP3 Player 2010 Gen. 3 Prius II

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusGirlyGirl, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. Rayderr

Rayderr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought the radio shack brand one (the first one) yesterday. Works fine. The other one you're paying a little bit more for a "name brand."

3. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use one of http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Auto-Charger-iPod-White/dp/B00009KAPX from Belkin. It charges the iPod and has an aux-out socket with volume control on the plug. Coupled with a simple 3.5mm male to male cable.

Connected to the iPod Sync port it gives a proper line-out feed rather than the headphone's feed and the the amplification can be controlled to suit your head unit.

4. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the belkin as well, unfortunately it doest charge iPhones (and i use Pandora quite a bit)

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is a limitation. I may have to upgrade to the Kensington LiquidAux which is a similar solution but also works with iPhones AND has a wireless steering wheel mounted remote.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my last car I used a Monster iCarCharger, which is similar to the Belkin, but without the internal amp (which isn't very high quality and distorts the output). I believe they now make one with an integrated mini stereo cable and music controls on the power adapter, that does charge the iPhone. Search Amazon for info.

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks neat but the Kensington has the steering wheel remote which is very neat..

Agree the internal amp in Belkin is poor but does help to match any device you connect to. It has always worked well for me with an iPod Classic mounted to a Belkin TuneDok and fitted in the pop out cup holder. No interference issues at all.

But not working with the iPhone is a dealbreaker.

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the Kensington LiquidAux, which works well. the steering wheel remote is a little funky with the prius steering wheel, but lets you close your phone in the console, and start stop, next song. I'm assuming you have an ipod or iphone its a good choice.

10. Rayderr

Rayderr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since she specified "mp3 players" I would assume she has a non-apple product. The second cable that she listed is just a standard mini (or 1/8" or 3.5mm if you prefer) cable. They just slap the iPod/iPhone on there to try to get extra sales. It'll work with any mp3 player that uses that type of headphone.

11. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!! My brother actually gave me an auxiliary cord that he bought online for like $2!