1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auxillary battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pdpmail, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Pdpmail

Pdpmail New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I go on vacation for six weeks and leave a prius parked on my drive will this kill the Auxillary battery?
    I sometimes will leave the car unused like this and suspect the aux battery may die our and mean I can't start the car and so have to recharge it and reprogram the car devices etc. Thanks for any guidance and sorry if this has already been discussed to death. Is a 2011 Prius. Thanks . Pete.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pete, welcome to the site. How long the car can sit before the 12v battery won't be able to boot up the computers depends on the health of the battery. This is no different than other cars except that the Prius will need less juice. A Battery Minder is a good investment for vehicles that sit extended periods without use.

3. Pdpmail

Pdpmail New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Sounds like most vehicles I guess with immobiliser, alarms etc all sucking down a tiny voltage without being replenished via normal driving.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A battery charger, of the kind that can be left on indefinitely, is likely your best bet. As long as you have the car in a secure garage. Longer term storage, you should also consider propping the wiper blades to be slightly off the glass, and jacking/supporting the car so it's tires are clear or barely touching. Also leave a window cracked.

For 6 weeks, another alternative would be to leave it with a friend, on the understanding they use the car for a decent drive around once a week.