1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auxilllary Outlet Override?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swingshiftworker, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was trying to charge my phone after having already parked the Prius and learned from the manual that the auxillary outlets that you use for that purpose will only power up w/the Prius in ACC or IGN-ON.

Is there any way (other than hot wiring them) to power these outlets while the Prius is powered off? Please advise. Thanks!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of these days I'll document how the separate power switch for my
    instrument panel also kicks the PWR OUTLET FR relay coil and enables
    the dash outlet, but the wire to cut and insert a diode into is a
    bit hard to find. But you could just do the always-on mod on the
    high-current side which is more accessible...
    _H*

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, there is no quick fix for your question. Either way, you will have to do some wiring.

Here are a few ways:

Darelldd's Prius Mods (follow the link, click on Prius, click on mods) - adds an additional always on outlet

Darell's page

or

Coastal's mod - converts your existing outlet to always on

Power outlet mod

4. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 10 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]283705[/snapback]</div>

Thanks! The Coastal mod is exactly what I'm looking for. :D

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swingshiftworker @ Jul 10 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]284175[/snapback]</div>
    You'll notice that the instructions for the Coastal mod is on their site. You can buy the parts locally and install it that way.

6. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Australian 06 Prius does not have a power outlet in the dash, only one in the centre arm rest. Where abouts is the US one located?

7. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 10 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]284192[/snapback]</div>
    It is under and to the left of the lower glove box.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 10 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]284245[/snapback]</div>
    It is the one on the right here, and does not include the switch.
    [​IMG]

The other one was added.

9. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know my mod isn't the best solution, but it was really easy (10 minutes). And at the time there wasn't any other fix for this problem. I listed some of the downsides to this mod but it has worked great for the last 2 years. On our newer 2006 Prius I did the Coastal Tech mod, but I just bought the parts at Napa and did it on my own.

Link to my website: http://www.law2.byu.edu/millerj/cars/2004priuspowermod.htm

10. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 11 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]284319[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, my Aussie 06 does not have that power outlet.

11. Zamboni68

Zamboni68 New Member

With my two cell phones, wireless PDA, Bluetooth headset, etc. the one outlet under the dash and the hard-to-use one in the console weren't enough...so I added two always on 12V outlets (bought them from Radio Shack) and powered the outlets with a mini-fuse add-a-circuit from AutoZone (10A fused, 2A in the "dummy" slot) into an empty slot in the fuse panel under the dash.

Works well, looks OEM. Total cost: $15

[attachmentid=7379][attachmentid=7380]

Attached Files:

12. Zamboni68

Zamboni68 New Member

Feel free to conatct me if you are planning on undertaking this modification before you begin. I want to save you time/frustration that I had to trouble-shoot.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zamboni68 @ Jul 12 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]285425[/snapback]</div>
    From -

Those outlets are from RS? They look exactly like mine! Not sure where mine is from though - it is out of my "automotive junk" drawer. Good to know where I can get matching ones.

*removed... found my problem!*

Oh... and where did you purchase the "Add-a-circuit" that'll fit the Prius? I bought some of those long ago directly from the mfg... but I haven't seen them in stores.

14. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zamboni68 @ Jul 12 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]285425[/snapback]</div>
    Was it just trial and error to find an always-on, empty fuse slot - for the power tap - in the fuse block?
    With the Coastal mod, is the outlet shown (under the dash) on the same fuse as the green wire? So there's a relay somewhere between the fuse block (green wire) and the factory outlet (solid white wire)?

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Jul 31 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]295211[/snapback]</div>
    That's how I did it. There are a few always hot, that are unused. Just use a lighted test probe with one end grounded.

Yup. The relay passes the power from the green wire into the outlets when the ignition is on. Tapping into that green wire before the relay uses the same circuit (and fuse - just bypasses the ig-on relay) to make it always hot.

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Just bear in mind that the 12v auxiliary battery is about the size of a motorcycle battery and can be easily depleted. One reason the auxiliary outlets are disabled in a power off situation is to avoid depleting this battery, which can prevent closing the relays which connect the traction (big) battery and require a "jump" to start the Prius. This procedure risks damaging the sensitive electronic elements of the Prius, especially if the jump polarity is accidentally reversed. There's also the Warranty issue when modifying the Prius design.

Is charging a cellphone with the Prius "off" worth the possible risks? For our cellphones, I purchased extra batteries and a desktop travel charger and when driving keep an extra charged battery in the car.

17. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 31 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]295259[/snapback]</div>
    I know ... I know ... but I do like the idea of a small, 1.2W solar panel trickle charging through the 12V outlet to keep the battery topped off. That's why I'd like this mod.

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 31 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]295259[/snapback]</div>
    Warranty? What warranty?
    [​IMG]