1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Availability of Touring Edition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lmalchiodi, Jul 10, 2007.

1. lmalchiodi

lmalchiodi New Member

all, I'm new here and planning to buy my first Prius (Touring, pkg 5) before the end of September.

I've just started looking at local dealer inventories (Philadelphia suburbs), and am finding that Touring Editions are pretty scarce. My dad just visited his local dealer this morning and was told that the Touring Edition only comes with pkg 1 or 2. Now, Dad knew this was nonsense, because I know someone in FL who has a brand-new Touring w/pkg 6.

When pressed, the dealer said well, the Touring is only available with the higher packages in certain areas of the country. :blink:

Two questions:

1. Is it true that certain parts of the country can't get pkg 5 with the Touring Edition?

2. How scarce are Touring Editions? Are they only a tiny percentage of the Prii manufactured in 2007, or am I seeing a shortage because they're more popular?

Thanks!
    Lynne

2. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LynneM @ Jul 10 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]476206[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought a Base with package 6 because the closest place to me that was able to get a Touring with package 6 was North Carolina. It's crazy and more than a little frustrating and I seriously considered flying down and driving it back. In the end I figured the differences were not worth the effort for me.

I still have not found a reasonable explanation as to why the Touring with packages other than 1/2/3 is unavailable in the North East.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Not sure about Pennsylvania, but in North Texas, numerous Touring Editions in numerous packages are available.

The going to Toyota.com - Build & Price your Toyota - ZIP code - Prius - Touring and then selecting packages. After you have built your Prius, you should get a list of area dealers and you can see what they have in stock.

I have read in PriusChat that other regions of the USA do have different models and packages available and perhaps omit some of the Touring selections.

GOOD LUCK finding the Prius of your choice.

CIAO

4. lmalchiodi

lmalchiodi New Member

Interesting.....I just tried the configurator on Toyota's site. When I put my zip code in, it didn't even give me the option to select the Touring.

I put in the zip for Trenton, NJ, just out of curiosity. That let me choose between the base and Touring, but if I chose Touring, only displayed package #3.

I tried the zip for Wilmington, DE. Again, just got the base Prius as a choice.

Seems that there really is a geographic difference. Which makes zero sense. I want to buy just about the most expensive Prius they make. And they won't let me?

Wow. That's pretty close to a showstopper for me. :(

5. ATOM_SF

ATOM_SF Junior Member

I bought my Touring Prius last month and here in Northern California, there were only a handful available across all dealers. Since that time, the supply seems to have dried up even further.

I'd say keep checking around and expand your search radius a little. Stock seems to change quite often.

Best of luck!

6. RexChu

RexChu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jul 10 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]476218[/snapback]</div>

And in Southeast Texas (Houston), Tourings can be had, although you may only get a choice of 2 in a city of 4 plus million people and 5 Toyota dealerships.

Maybe a roadtrip down here is in order :)

7. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LynneM, Unfortunately, I'm afraid what your local dealer told you about the availability of the Touring model is correct. PA, VA (where I'm located), WV, MD, and DE are part of the Central Atlantic Toyota Region, where USA Toyota Motor Sales has apparently decided not offer the Touring model any longer (presumably due to historically low sales of the Touring model).

I definitely wanted a Touring. Therefore, when I bought mine back in March of this year, I had to drive all the way down to a dealer in South Carolina to get one. For me, it was well worth it because now I'm basically the only person in central Virginia with a Touring in magnetic gray color. I like the fact that I've not seen another Touring magnetic gray on the road.

As another example, I just bought those Toyota mud guards for my Prius. I called 3 local Toyota dealers in my area and all said these mud guards are not available. These dealers could not even get a part number for this Toyota accessory. I ended up ordering them from metrotpn.com (sorry PriusChat). Just proves that "not all options or accessories are available in all regions", as Toyota frequently quotes.

Good luck! Definitely go for the Touring, if possible. Just don't get the Magnetic Gray, like me! :lol:

8. lmalchiodi

lmalchiodi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 10 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]476417[/snapback]</div>
    Hm. I wonder if the situation is different in NJ. I'm only about 45 minutes from the Jersey border and wouldn't mind going over there to buy a car...

9. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will pick up my Black Prius Touring (pkg 3) on Thursday after waiting only a week, ordering from Houston. They really didn't have a lot of selection, but said that I could basically get whatever I wanted (color, package, etc) for the Touring in three weeks or less...

Not sure about how official that is, but there's my $.02

10. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here in San Antonio there are tourings available, including Package 5 and 6. I have not seen any Prius discounts advertised lately, so I assume they are selling well. Possibly the Live Earth event may have had some inpact also--they were advertising it weeks in advance.
    The only problem is most cars are loaded up with port options; the "extra value" packages, which I frankly don't see that much value in. Leather packages are also popular which I can see if you can't get package 6.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LynneM @ Jul 10 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]476431[/snapback]</div>
    Lynne, I just checked inventory. Cherry Hill has 3 standard. Liberty & Lawrence combine for 0 total. If you send a PM I'll reply with a list of dealers in 3 states. At its peak the Tourings were maybe 20% of inventory. Keep in mind that "inventory" historically around here is just a handful so a dealer might have 1 or 2 Tourings at a time. Not good odds if you are going to insist on a specific color & package. If you are going to be selective on a color and option package then you will have to be prepared to go a great distance to get exactly what you want.

If you read through the opinions here you may find that the options don't live up to expectations. In any event, read through www.carbuyingtips.com and I hope you find what you are looking for. Sometimes you will look long and hard and discover it right next door.

12. bankshot

bankshot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LynneM @ Jul 10 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]476206[/snapback]</div>
    I can't answer for PA, but I bought a touring edition in silver pine mica/bisque with package 5 in NC last week. I did have to wait 2 weeks for delivery, but I was particular about the package and colors.

Looking at the http://www.buyatoyota.com website for the southeast there are 476 total regulars and 65 total touring editions available. Of those 65 there are 28 package 2, 14 package 3, 5 package 5, and 18 package 6, so I'd expect package 5 touring to be hard to find in the mid-atlantic/northeast as well.