1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Availible shock/strut upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by woodrufj, Jun 4, 2007.

1. woodrufj

woodrufj Junior Member

Wife's got a new car, so I inherit the Prius. Almost 90Kmi on the '04.

I've searched around the forum, and only been able to find full suspension kits and some lowering springs. I'd just like to upgrade the shocks significantly, maybe some sort of sway bar as well. This thing has always felt like a marshmellow to me, so I don't think the 'newer' prius shocks are going to be enough. Its time for tires and an alignment, so I'd like to do the shocks at the same time.

Any recommendations? Do the shocks/struts cross over to any other Toyota/Lexus?

thanks,

Jay W
    505/287 Dakota

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woodrufj @ Jun 4 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]455053[/snapback]</div>
    You are looking at either the Touring edition shocks and springs or the TRD Sportivo kit. The Touring edition shocks and springs yield a ride that is a bit firmer than the non-Touring edition.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rx: TRD Sportivo suspension, maybe some TOM'S chassis bracing (or the BT plate to start out with), and get rid of the stock tires if you for some reason haven't already.

It'll firm up nicely, won't push nearly as much, and is more predictable. Mine is actually power-limited in the twisties now...but does, of course, still tend to terminal understeer at the ragged edge (when there's simply no more horsepower available to balance the chassis).

go to: www.newtoyotaparts.com for the suspension parts.

4. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello WoodrufJ,

Mine is a 2007 standard edition and I had the same response. The TRD kit looks enticing, but was a bit pricy for a mild fix at this point. I added a BT stiffening plate and new rims/tires and it drives like a different car. With the 215's on the road it does lose some mileage performance but the marshmallow is largely gone and it is now fun to drive.

Robin

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ Jun 4 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]455184[/snapback]</div>
    I'd suggest that by improving the suspension instead of throwing on bigger tires, you can keep your mileage rating and get better handling, too.

One of my performance criteria for this vehicle was that anything I did must NOT reduce mileage. I feel it's very important to uphold the spirit of the car, which is first and foremost about efficiency.

6. woodrufj

woodrufj Junior Member

Fuel economy is still the priority. When my first tire change was needed, I noticed everyones economy was going down with alternate tires, but I also notice they were replacing with significantly heavier tires. I chose some Kumhos that were 2lbs lighter, but forgot to look for the low rolling resistance stuff. The Kumhos sucked some MPGs from us and I'm not happy with them.

I race amature motor sports, so I push on the road. My un-aggressive wife managed to wear the outer edges to the cord with the factory alignment. So I'm definitly going to need some roll resistance and negative camber to not tear through tires.

Anyone know if decent (-1 to -2) camber can be gotten from the factory suspension, or would something need to be modded?

Does the Sportivo get sold in sperate pieces? I'd use stiffer non-lowering springs, but I doubt those exist. Really just want a substaintally stiffer ride without lowering.

Jay W
    505/287 Dakota

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woodrufj @ Jun 4 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]455196[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I believe -1/-2 can be achieved with the factory suspension, but someone like Galaxee would know for sure. Rear can only be aligned using special shims which aren't widely available (and it's surprising how far off the default settings can be sometimes).

I think that, yes, the Sportivo is sold in separate pieces, at least according to the documentation which came with it. On the 'newtoyotaparts' site, though, they make it seem like you have to buy both the springs and the shocks/struts together.

Sigmaautomotive might have other sources for springs, but I just wasn't as comfortable with these options since they generally tended to be "...as low and stiff as you can get for the Prius..." and that just wasn't what I was looking for. Also, I think there were front end alignment issues with one set of aftermarket springs, but I can't recall which ones now...I'd gotten *this* close to buying 'em when I discovered the TRD option.

What do you think about putting on the Touring springs and shocks? I'll bet they're not really that much stiffer than the 'regular' ones (especially since the Touring has lower aspect ratio tires) but maybe an option over and above what you have now...?

There just don't seem to be that many suspension options for these cars.

8. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 6 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]456844[/snapback]</div>
    That is so true, my buddy burst into laughter when I said I was going to see if H&R made coilovers for my car, it is the only setup I found worthwhile. I've never used anything else :huh:

9. freesolar

freesolar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vdubstress @ Jun 7 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]457453[/snapback]</div>

I just purchased a 2007 Touring edition and had the dealer switch out/install the TRD suspension PKG for me and I LOVE it! I really enjoy the improved "drive"- most noticeable in turns. I have not had any of the, much talked about, issues with clearance either. I assume the slightly lower front end may actually help me get better mileage -with less drag from a lower profile? The old (with less than 100 miles on it) 2007 touring edition suspension- is for sale in the "Private Sales" forum- if you're interested.

10. esskay

esskay Junior Member

I'd also love to hear of any options which stiffen and improve the suspension/handling without lowering the car. It already takes a lot of effort & attention to make sure I don't scrape the car as it is -- I don't really want it to be any lower!

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Jun 27 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]469226[/snapback]</div>
    Your options for stiffening the suspension without lowering the car are front (upper and lower) suspension bracing and rear suspension bracing. TOM'S produces products for each of these applications. In the U.S., the best source for the TOM'S parts seems to be Sigma. I have the TOM'S front (upper and lower) suspension braces installed on my car. There is a definite improvement in steering response and cornering at speed with the TOM'S braces. I am going to be adding the TOM'S rear suspension brace bits to my car as well.