1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by windsurfdog, May 14, 2004.

1. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

Is there a way to upload an appropriately configured image directly from my computer for use with my profile without using a URL? Thanks in advance.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because of size/bandwidth issues, we're not currently allowing people to upload their avatars. However, when we move to our new server (by the first of June I hope) I'll open it back up to allow people to do that.

In the meantime, if you want to email your image to me, I can host it for you and update your profile with it.

[email protected]

3. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

Thanks, Danny! Just sent it--cheers!

4. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

How can I get My picture of my car in my Profile it over 15k

I am trying to get my Picture of my car on my profile but its too big ..any suggestions? Its a jpeg

thanks

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: How can I get My picture of my car in my Profile it over

What are the pixel dimensions of the picture? There's a total size limit and a dimensions limit. Most people that don't routinely work with digital images don't realize that being jpg. or what dpi the picture is matters little for most things. What really counts is the total number of pixels and the pixel dimensions.

I think Danny suggests an 80 pixel wide image...pretty tough to get good resolution at that size as it's just over or just under 1" on most monitors, but it works. I think my avatar is 150 pixels wide.

If you need it resized fee free to send me your original jpg and I'll be happy to size it for you.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    150x100, 15 kb - I chose that size because I thought that Evan's avatar fits the topic view perfectly.

7. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

I don't know the Pixel size but if you make it fit I would be a happy camper ..thanks I will send it soon ..thanks :D

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    My question is, how do ya make the image big enough to see clearly (like many people have on the forums) yet still not be over 15kb and 150 X 100 pixels? I'm fairly digital picture literate but my avatar has to be so small as to not be worth squinting at in order to fit the above criteria. Thanks for any help out there. I'm using a digital pic from my olympus D-550 and Irfanview to make smaller. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually apply a lot of unsharp masking (or sharpening if you don't use that function) before resizing. It's probably also helpful to resize in steps--i.e. go from 3000x2000 down to 1500x1000 then 750x500 then to your 150x100 (or whatever).

Resharpen as necessary after resizing.

Save as a medium or so JPG..be sure you're at 8 bits per channel (if you don't know what that means then you're certainly already at that size).

That should get you darn close.

10. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went with a generic Toyota logo for my avatar while waiting. Now that I have a silver I want to changemy avatar but the local avatar list comes up blank. This happens both with my iBook (Safari and Netscape browsers) at home and Windows XP at work.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I'm still not sure why it's doing that... that's happening for everyone.