1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by galaxee, Jul 14, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok, i've been tinkering with this for a bit.

i've succesfully changed my avatar a couple of times with no problems but today something's giving me a hard time.

i've got a file that's within pixel and kb size requirements. i select the file using the "browse" menu, and click on the load avatar button. all it does is resize my current avatar to the pixel settings of the new one. so i try removing the current one (and even logging out and logging back in) and attempting to reload the new avatar. again, old avatar shows up in the proportions of the new avatar.

now for the record i can change my personal photo just fine.

can anyone load a new avatar or is it just me?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I updated mine it would resize the current pic. I did a refresh and my new pic showed up. :blink: Did you try to refresh after it uploaded and resized?

3. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I loaded my avatar on July 2, so not that long ago. I had to try several times until it finally got it there - I don't know that I did anything different any of the times - just the brute-force 'keep trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result'. In most cases, that's futile, but I've found that sometimes it pays off with computers (max 5 attempts and try again tomorrow before I say 'well, that won't work')

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks guys-

funny, i walk away for a few minutes to do something, and i come back and there it is, just like i wanted.

strange... :huh:

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 14 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]286494[/snapback]</div>
    GNR said it best:

(Need a little patience, yeah)
    (Just a little patience, yeah)
    (Some more patience, yeah)

:)

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It depends on which computer I am using as well...home or work. And one day it did just change back to the wine and olive oil bottles. I love my son-in-laws illustrations though and wanted to use one of those. I think the system has a couple of gliches.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another possibility is that it's your browser's fault. To save bandwidth, when you try to download a page or object you've downloaded before, like your previous avatar, your browser may not do the download, but rather rely on the copy it already has on your disk. If galaxeepic.jpg is already in its cache, it may not download the file with the same name, and you don't know what the file is called on PriusChat, only what you called it on your computer.

When this kind of thing happens, try clearing your browser's cache. Different browsers have different ways of doing it, but it's easy when you find out where to do it. This forces the browser to download all the page elements fresh, and your new avatar will probably show up.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I've been trying to change avatars for a week now, alas unsuccessfully until ABRACADBRA one day it automatically updated itself days after I gave up. I think the program is faulty. Or, we could really use a definitive instruction on how to successfully do the change.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is cache and then there is cache

Ok, some secret info.....

Some Internet service providers (ISP) have a device which caches web pages. This is a way of being able to load web pages faster for people because it is already sitting for their use right at your ISP. Why would they want to do that? Simple, it reduces their over all need for bandwidth. Simply reloading a page in your browser may not provide you with the results you are looking for. Usually, the ISP will have some kind of default length of time before deciding to look at the real web page again. The only real way of knowing for sure if your ISP is doing this is by calling them up and asking them "do you cache web sites at your ISP?" If the person doesn't understand that question ask to talk to someone more technically inclined.

Good luck.

10. Kapena Gary

Kapena Gary New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First try at loading an avatar.

Preview didn't work so I'll try submit

Worked!