1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Avatar Size Limit... 19.5KB... Really?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by 2k1Toaster, Jun 22, 2012.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What on earth is the rationale behind 19.5KB maximum avatar gifs. Almost all of mine are in the 30KB to 50KB range. I understand no animated GIFs, but 19.5KB is ridiculous. If you are viewing PC on a dial up modem, that is your own d*** fault. Here is the land of multi-megabit connections, I can see no reason for such a low limit.

And I have an IT background as well with my own server and I know how bandwidth works. Yes bigger size over larger population is a giant change in bandwidth. But people cache avatars so it is really moot. Especially when the number of posts per page is so low.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I received the 19.5 kb error message when the sight first came up but tried again a few days later and loaded a normal size picture without problem. Once loaded it let you move the crop frame around to get the picture that you want for the Avatar.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just did it when I posted this message and it was adamant about it being less than 19.5KB. I had to compress the colour indexing to get my 20.1KB image down to 19KB-ish. I doubt your average joe even knows how to use photoshop...

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That must be an intermittent problem. Maybe Danny will read this and comment.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try it again now. What should have been happening was the system taking the uploaded image and then if it couldn't compress it down to under 20 KB from resizing, then it would reject it. I've changed it to "Unlimited" now, so I'm looking forward to seeing if the system can still keep the avatars a manageable size. If not, I'll have to re-institute a limit.