1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Average lifetime of Prii?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bgoodr, Aug 12, 2007.

1. bgoodr

bgoodr Junior Member

Hi folks,

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 Prius, and a noob here at PriusChat (please be gentle :) ). The wife is down to visit the outlaws and the father outlaw claims that the Prii start petering out at 90kmiles on average. Yes, by golly, this same father outlaw owns a Hummer and also claims that his monstrosity would outlive a Prius. Of course, I don't believe that claim at all, but it has got my curiosity up. Do note that I'm happy with my unmodified Prius and the mileage it gets, but it would be nice to be prepared with some evidence to the contrary for my next conversation with the Hummer-ite. Has anyone seen any major problems at or after the "magical" 90,000 miles mark with the Prius?

Thanks in advance!
    Brent

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgoodr @ Aug 11 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]494230[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like they got their info from the CNW BS/crap that claims Priuses last 109K miles and that Hummer H2 last 197K miles. You can find some of my debunking at http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=487126.

Based on the reliability ratings I attached, http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023544 and http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele...pdf/2007130.pdf (or http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele...spx?ID=2007130), those outlaws have little credibility in my book.

edit:fixed last URL

Attached Files:

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bgoodr, welcome to PriusChat!

Thanks, cwerdna, for those attachments and - most importantly - the links.

I have to agree with catgic, bgoodr. "If you can't prove it, you can't use it."
    Have your father outlaw pony up some true hard facts backing his allegations. Otherwise, please feel free to disregard him.

Or you can take this approach:
    "Whoever gets rid of their car first for any reason must pay $1,000 towards the eventual purchase of the other person's next car."
    I believe that he will eventually have to decide whether winning the bet is worth the fuel costs. Perhaps next year. But if Mr. Hummer truly believes in his vehicle, he should jump at it in a minute. Heck, it's free money!

5. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgoodr @ Aug 11 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]494230[/snapback]</div>
    Remind him if he forgot, that the H2 and H3 are just Chevy pickups (SUV's) underneath. I will look for some links to back this up, but I have heard several people say this. As for Chevy trucks, they're built tough, and I would buy a chevy truck before I bought a Hummer. But I would not pay a premium just to drive a Chevy drivetrain with a makeover.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107776
    The HUMMER H3 which shares its chassis with the Colorado and Canyon.....

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...3-hummer-h2.htm

The H2 gets its 6.0-liter V8, 4-speed automatic transmission, and major chassis components from GM's full-size SUVs.....

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgoodr @ Aug 12 2007, 02:57 AM) [snapback]494230[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. Do a google search for Prius & taxi to find the reports of the Canadian taxi fleets with over 200,000 miles and no major problems. I like the suggestion of putting your money where your mouth is. Which Hummer does he own? Make the bet. First party to sell the vehicle loses. Void the wager in the event of a collision. You are betting on a sure thing. Don't argue or debate.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Brent,
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgoodr @ Aug 12 2007, 01:57 AM) [snapback]494230[/snapback]</div>
    Guess I'd just smile and change the subject. When your wife gets back, you might read this report and ask if her if it needs to be mailed to her Dad, is he really curious, . . . or just keep clocking up the miles:
    http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/end_of_life_test_1.pdf

All of the hybrids completed 160,000 miles. The study continues and the testing page with all of the reports are here:
    http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml

If the old man decides to bring it up, smile and point out the gas engine is loafing at 70% load because of the electric motors and the batteries are computer controlled so they operate using just 40% of their load. It will wear out someday but this computer controlled car is giving the engine and batteries an easy, long life.

Bob Wilson

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 12 2007, 04:33 AM) [snapback]494241[/snapback]</div>
    From the looks of things, probably not very. Besides the price of fuel, the cost of preventative maintenance should be included, as well. Those big 'ole tires that Hummers like wear out quickly and are substantially more expensive than the donuts Priuses roll on.

Just comparing the overall, general longevity of all Toyota products versus those made by GM would suggest that the Prius is going to last longer (likely substantially longer) than any Hummer, regardless of the complexity involved.

What will be truly interesting is the longevity of any comparable GM product (like the Volt, when and if it's ever produced) to the Prius. I would be seriously wary of purchasing any GM product (or any domestic product, for that matter) that was designed to operate at the level of complexity of the Prius. GM's track record on the longevity of regular ICE vehicles is rather abyssmal already, so more complex vehicles would lend themselves to being even worse. If the Prius had the little 'GM' badge on the side, I probably wouldn't have bought one for that reason alone.

In fact, GM's dropping of the EV1 electric vehicle before the Prius was released in the US may have actually been a blessing in disguise, considering the effect a problem-prone, production EV1 might have had on Prius sales.

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. :)

If I were you, I would just smile and be silent. He probably doesn't want to change his mind no matter what you say. Just be an example, and eventually he will realize he is wrong. It's better that way.

How many miles do you have in the Prius now?

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Aug 12 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]494296[/snapback]</div>
    I'm starting to think that MichGal has a good point. There have been many times I've been talking with coworkers and the general public where I have shown them news articles on fuel efficiency only to hve them say, "oh yeah, well I heard that you have to replace the battery in five years." So I produce evidence that the batteries are good for many hundreds of thousands of miles only to have them reply, "oh yeah, well I heard that you never earn your money back." To which I present charts and spreadsheets." They reply, "oh yeah, well I heard that a hummer is more environmentally friendly."

You get the point.
    They throw <strike>up</strike> out some stupid "facts" that I quickly rebuff only to have them regurgitate another one. It's completely puts all the pressure on me to overturn their already skewed perception. Eventually, if they try hard enough, they'll find something that I can't defend adequately and declare victory.

Let's face it, the people who really should be reading the reports and learning the truth are not the ones reading and learning.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    90,000 miles eh... Wow, then my city must have Prius taxis dropping out like flies!

They can cover 100k miles in a year... If they don't last, trust me the media will be all over it and you will hear about it. But as they're running to nearly 500,000kms (~300,000 miles), you don't hear anything about their longevity ... odd eh?

12. bgoodr

bgoodr Junior Member

Wow! That was the most overwhelming response I've ever seen to a first post. Thanks everyone.

There are a lot of questions raised here, notably what his sources are. From scanning the CDW related material you all referenced, I bet that is the source. The wife is incomunicado at the moment, but I'll post back when I find out for sure.

catgic, thanks also for those links. I'll be reading through them in detail in the next few days. I also suspect that his choice of a Hummer means he doesn't care about green vehicular transport.

Michgal007 and bwilson4web imply that I should just disregard it. I'm leaning that way. The guy really is the nicest guy in the world and I have a fairly amiable relationship with him. I'm also really not eager to start a debate with someone who might not want to read through any reports I find (or have me repeatedly try to debunk more hearsay like TonyPSchaefer said). Regardless of that, I will try to find out the source of his comment.

Thanks Bob for that End Of Life Report. I'm trudging my way through that report now. Glad to know some of our tax dollars are being put to good work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Aug 12 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]494296[/snapback]</div>
    The odo reads 45940 miles today.

Thanks!
    Brent

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think your best bet is to ignore it and wait it out as well.

I got some ribbing when I first got my Prius. My brother called it "the golf cart" and my Dad reminds me not to drive in the rain in case I get electrocuted.

As time passes and the price of gas goes up, they're pretty quiet. My Mom likes to ride in it. My Dad finally rode in it and complimented it on it's power and quiet.

As time passes he'll evenutally shut up. He might even start to ask you questions about it. Who knows. Someday he might even trade that Hummer in for some kind of hybrid. Just try not to rub it in when he's replacing his timing belt or something.

14. bgoodr

bgoodr Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 12 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]494469[/snapback]</div>
    LOL, that would indeed be troublesome here in rainy Oregon. :)

I also found what I believe is the article on the use of Prii as taxis: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8046

Brent

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like the concept of a wager. But I would put more money on the table. Any modifications you want to add to your car (things like suspension upgrade, lightweight wheels, or...)? The wager is the surest way to get somebody else to fund your mod budget.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgoodr @ Aug 12 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]494483[/snapback]</div>
    www.hybridexperience.ca

Canadian site and the first hybrid taxi. Toyota took back his 2001 Prius at 343,000kms and gave him a (free) 2003 one in return.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 12 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]494284[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the GREAT link! I'm adding this to my bookmarks.

The fact sheets were very interesting. I haven't finished looking at all of them, but I found it interesting/troubling that the high mileage HCHs and Insights seemed to have need at least 1 new transmission. They seemed to go around the 90K mile mark. Also, the two high mileage HCHs needed new cats at ~100K miles.

18. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi bgoodr, I think you've got good responses. I'm inclined to recommending ignoring outlaws unless pressed. It puts your fine wife in the middle...

I also want to call your attention to the local HSD/Prius club, link in my signature. Come join us some third Saturday.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jesse's 2002 Prius:

[​IMG]

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 13 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]494608[/snapback]</div>
    310K! That is incredible! What all has had to be replaced during the journey to 310K? Maybe we should have a sticky where members can post their highest mileage.... Moderators?