1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Avoiding the Documentation Fee

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Cosmo, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

All,

As far as I understand, the documentation, or advertising fee is not mandated by law. Can I just tell the dealer, "Nope, not gonna pay it", can they just accept that and still sell me the car at the negotiated price? It's a really BS fee, just there to increase the profit per vehicle for the dealer. Since all of us are paying MSRP (or worse) already, I don't feel like I should have to pay this if or when my car actually arrives.

Peace,
    Cosmo

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

You can refuse to pay it and the dealer can refuse to waive it.
    Fair is whatever you both agree to.
    (I would never consider paying it.)

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can refuse to pay it and the dealer doesn't have to do the documentation for you. He can just give you the Bill Of Sale and when you return with the new car DMV registration receipt you get the car. The $45 fee is set by law but not required. If you choose to do the documentation yourself then AFAIK the fee is not applicable.

However, out of $25k+ the $45 is so far down in the noise :ph34r: I'd rather not have to deal with the DMV anymore than I absolutely have to. :rolleyes:

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I interpreted the OP as having to do with documentation fees above their cost and the advertising fee some dealers charge.
    These can be significantly more that $45.
    Both are pure profit.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

All,

Since I live in MD, and I'm buying the car in NC, I've got no choice but to go through the MVA, should be easier to waive the doc fee then, no?

Peace,
    Cosmo

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Not so. Your NC dealer should be able to do your docs.
    You just shouldn't agree to pay more than their cost.

7. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am negotiating for a 2016 prius to be delivered in 2 weeks right now. I negotiated the floor mats and the "Charger Kit" to be taken off, then he comes with the final paperwork, which included a 650 documentation fee (I assume he just bumped that fee up to make up for the options I had negotiated away). I got up and walked away. An hour and a half latter, the "Manager" calls me and agrees to waive that too. He fudged numbers, taking the 640 plus the 400 off the MSRP, then left the documentation fee there.

I'd say they are easily negotiable, if you are honestly willing to walk away.

8. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dr. Furner

Msrp $25943.00

Discount $1017.00

Selling price $24926.00

Tax $767.25

Tag $97.30