1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Awesome Highway Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bigsk8r, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Bigsk8r

Bigsk8r New Member

Well, today my Prius finally surprised me. After putting 7000 miles and one oil change on the thing in the first 8 weeks of owenership, I FINALLY got close to the EPA highway mileage. Due in no small part to the warm weather we have now. Sorry the photos are a little rough, the camera phone only works so-so in the bright light.

The first picture shows the speedo and ODO at 71 MPH and 175 miles driven. (Just 3 miles later the first square went out on the fuel guage.)

[Broken External Image]:http://home.fuse.net/bigsk8r/Speed_ODO.jpg

The second photo shows the Consumption Screen. This would eventually wind up at 50.4 MPG @ 242 miles driven on the day. Note that there are no regen cars. This was mostly level ground driving, no deep downhills to pad the numbers.

[Broken External Image]:http://home.fuse.net/bigsk8r/consumption.jpg

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I think the display is fairly accurate. When I fill the tank using consistent methodology time and again, my calculator spits out numbers very close to the display, usually within 0.5 never more than 1.0 MPG. At 50 MPG, thats 2% accuracy. Not bad.

Regards,

Larry

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you took a picture while driving at 71mph?

3. DanP

DanP Member

I used to find the computer's estimate to be pretty close to my calculations, as well (although consistently higher by just a tad). But the last two tanks have been different. For example, today I filled up with 9.666 gallons (at $2.62/gal, BTW), having driven 474 miles on that tank. That comes out to about 49 mpg. The computer, however, showed that I had gotten 51.4 mpg on that tank--the best I've ever gotten.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I frequently take pictures while drivng of my spedo/odo. I take pictures at my 1000 mile increments so that at some point I can make a time-line of when and how quickly my mileage is accumulating. Considering I have a ~75mile per day drive, it happens relatively frequently.

As for highway mileage, I've posted recently one trip highway averages of over 62mpg at 60-65mph. At 70mph recently I've still been able to get 55mpg.

However I've noticed a drop after the first in the switch to Summer gas. 70mph is now yielding 51mpg at best on my present tank.

5. Bigsk8r

Bigsk8r New Member

Rick,

If you are getting that kind of mileage regularly, I am doing something wrong. Maybe using the cruise is a bad thing even on flat terrain? Or is 9,000 miles still short of complete break-in?

As for taking pictures while driving, I was talking on the phone headset anyway, I figured "Why not? It's in my hand.". LOL

Seriously though, that's why the photos are crap. I actually fired off two quick ones of each item and put the phone back down.

Regards,

Larry