1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Axel Changed @ 371,200 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SnT08Prius, Jan 14, 2024.

1. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good news is that the car is back running after 6 months of pushing *hit up hill for seemed long enough for the 2008 Prius to go bye bye. The question was raised a few times but quickly squished.

I was going to get this axel replace no matter what.

So back the the beginning - in Bozeman the Prius started that tell tail sign of the dreaded click. I only did 2 miles a day to work and back in total - so was gentle on the car. Fast forward to the move to Phoenix and the Prius is in no shape to make the 1,250 miles under it's own steam. Sell it or put on trailer - I win the deal and the Prius is saved and on the U-Haul trailer.

Gets to Phoenix and the new 12v batter dies like right off the bat!. It's replaced - but the clicking is now really noncable on every on off the throttle and we live out in the sticks 10 miles from the nearest main road.

A new axel is purchased and the fight begins.

Stub axel nut refuses to budge. Bigger impact wrench required.
    2 weeks later I get the next door to give me a hand. It's off in 30 seconds. sigh.

Next the axel is in to halves. Fail seem very likely here...

Busted up shoulder and xmas around the corner - we wait.

1 month later the tool from Auto zone and some real heavy pulls & lost skin - it's out.

The 3 minute video on youtube the had the axel out and on the ground was really of not much help. LOL

Then 1 more hour the car was back on the ground looking good! (for 371,200 miles and only half the clear paint left)

To be continued...

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's horrible it's usually like the you tubes here in SE USA.. just the sockets and pry bar bout it.