1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B 1248 and 1271 codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tombukt2, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've got these two codes even with dash working but MFF is not . ?? And I need know what is the lan talked about in 1248 code??

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, do ALL of the gauges on the dash (Combination Meter) work properly? B1248 USUALLY sets because the CM won't turn on, but there can still be a comm fault if wiring is bad. (does the CM turn on immediately? If there's any delay, that could probably trigger that code).

B1271 refers to the "infotainment" Local Area Network. Or the special data bus that connects the radio to the MFD to the gateway ecu. Again, a wiring fault for the MFD (or an internal failure) will set this code.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The cars and really beautiful condition I can find no nests or chewed up soy-based wiring which is apparently what the animals like to chew on the soy-based covering of the wire everything looks really good. My park light stay on I have to disconnect the battery to make them go off at the present time and generally when I boot up the car the display is completely off not a orange amber red nothing I think the brake light works and way over on the other side of the dash it tells me that the passenger airbag is in place or what have you. One of the battery technicians showed me he learned this from disconnecting the 12 volt all the time If you undo the ground wire for the 12 volt and touch it to the frame until you see the door open light on the dash in red light up put the bolt in He says now the dash will fire up the minute you start the vehicle push the brake hit the button dash lights up he says the only time the dash doesn't light up is if you open the door and you don't see that door ajar lamp on I guess he believe that's wired to the combination meter what have you. So when he's changing out batteries the high voltage batteries and he has the 12 volt disconnected I guess and putting all the stuff back this was in one of my cars I was telling him like oh yeah the display won't work don't worry about that would just turn the car on you'll hear it boot up the relays click I'll put it in gear it'll go backwards in the engine will start He was like oh no no no. Watch this and I'm watching and I'm like watch what and he said see when the door open red light on the dash comes on I was standing back in the hatchback area looking through and I didn't see the light and the door and the hatch is open and he said now watch this and he move the ground wire till the door open light came on screwed the ground down without moving it with a 10 mm socket and he said now I guarantee you when you push the button the dash is going to come on It might not after this but right now the car is going to boot up the car did just that and that display stayed on for a couple start and stop cycles . Just like my daily driver so I figured I wouldn't worry about it but I have these codes that we're talking about and one of them has to do with some kind of bus I don't know what that l a n something bus is so I'm thinking it's a computer that may be bad a physical silver or colored box because I see no fuses that are deteriorated or bad or burnt I see no chewed wiring everything in the car works except the park lights will not go off. And sometimes so far more often than not the dash doesn't light up but the check engine light does come on and go off like it's supposed to when the car boots and the car has no codes that should be keeping lights on. So when it does boot up properly and everything lights up like it's supposed to I have no amber lights on no check engine light nothing and the only two code stored are the two in question but apparently they're not enough to light the Amber lights or the triangle. Or the check engine light. With all the wire eating problems I'm expecting to have this problem I live in the country in Central North Carolina people 4 miles from me and Cary had a car ate up wiring especially sitting in their driveway The woods were 50 ft away but so far out of all the vehicles parked here on this property not one vehicle has had animal problems especially animals eating the vehicle I have a cat that lives in one vehicle but doesn't eat or do anything in the said vehicle just gets out of the weather. So I'm kind of interested to knowing what computers would be involved that I need to get out of another vehicle and see if it makes any difference. The lady who owned the car said she hadn't had any trouble with the display and didn't believe there was any reason or nobody ever mentioned sending the display out for any kind of capacitors or electronic work or any of that. This all started with the original code of the HV battery leaking voltage to the frame of the car or the battery I change that whole battery 24 hours after I got the car home I knew there was a problem with the HV battery The kid that came here took out the battery and changed it said it was pretty bad.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can these two codes also cause my running lights to stay on The detents in the switch seem to be perfect unlike the worn out switch where the person turns the switch so much the little balls that detent the stops from the positions are worn out in the copper rings are just laying in there and the switch feels absolutely horrible like it should burn up and start something on fire any minute It's just really sloppy none of that's going on here The switch detents and every position and it is seen when you move the switch from off to park to full lights. Seems awfully odd I'm going to take the steering wheel off in the shroud off and find my light switch bad but I guess it's possible I think I have an extra one here but it wasn't doing that when I picked up the car 50 miles away put a new 12 volt in it started it right up but it run in the driveway sitting there on while talking to the people I bought the car from for 15 minutes car on battery blue on the display. Then hopped in the car and drove it 51 mi to my house at almost 80 mph the whole way without incident The next day I got the codes for the battery HV leaking out change the battery got everything running and then the park lights would be on forever so I just unplugged the white plug at the battery now until I have a chance to pull the steering wheel and the light switch out but I really am thinking it's not so much the light switch. Even the fog lights work perfectly on or off with the lights turn signals everything perfect.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you like to play games with a faulty CM instead of just getting it fixed, then go ahead. Since you KNOW it's bad, I don't know why you bother posting about it.

As far as tail lights, what do you see for data from the BCM? The light switch is an input to the BCM, and it controls the tail light relay as the output.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is not my '09 this is another whole car an '08 I'm about to order the Texas hybrid for an '08 just to see what the deal is I cannot imagine we shall see I guess The '09 the dash has been running for the last year now It's the same dash that's been in the car for a while I tried two others this is the lowest mileage takeout from a little old lady's car that I got and it's been on and working like I say for a long time now this is another car.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is also the first time on any of these Prius I've ever seen the code for the display ever. So I'll tend to believe that from what I read it says communication from the CM is not happening or whatever sounds good to me in all the other cars without the displays never had a code anything to do with gateway or communication land or bus or any of that

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Removing the CM monitor or the display the dash now the park lights turn off perfectly everything works without the dash connected New dash will be here tomorrow so that should solve the problems with this '08. I just got a whole another dash and MFD for nav from another 08 and it's all working in that car plus I'm going to nab the brake pump while I'm at it looks like it might have been replaced at some point so that's good.