1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B braking mode on CVT

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by jstack, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The prius has lots of great technology. Some that is not used or understood very well like the Braking mode on the shifter. I have just used it a few times coming down long steep hills like from Prescott 5,000 ft to Phoenix 1500 ft. It sure saves the brakes.

Recently I used it from Prescott and left it in B mode even whehn I was back to the level valley area. I got 72 mpg on the trip back. It also saves the brakes. I wish I had 2 or 3 battery packs , like a plug-in hybrid since I could have charged them all. The Regenerative braking allows this to work so well.

After I was back to level area my wife and I were amazed sine I still was getting 90-99 mpg with the air on and at 60-65 mph. It just kept working great. I have tried it on city streets in the past and it got poor mpg but at highway speed it was very good. I don't driove far often but will have to try this more.

How do you use the B mode ? What results have to had ?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstack @ Jul 30 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]487518[/snapback]</div>
    Use it only on long or very steep down-grades that will otherwise fully charge the battery. B mode forces engine braking to throw away extra unneeded energy, so it's not something you want to use on the highway or any other normal braking situation. This topic has been covered many times, so do a quick search for more information.

Tom