1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'B' Gear / Regen Level

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Chimera1978, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Chimera1978

Chimera1978 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Ok so I'm a little confused about the 'B' gear. It seems like putting it in B ups the Regen breaking, is this true? I saw on some Toyota website somewhere that you're only supposed to use 'B' for going down hill and that it isn't for normal every day driving. However, I've been switching to 'B' when I know there's a stop coming and it feels (maybe just psychologically?) that it is recharging the battery faster when I do that. What is the intended use for B? I also saw the setting for Regen Level, which seems like it applies to the B mode. It feels like setting it with one arrow lit up is the highest seeing although that seems counterintuitive to me.

2. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It's mainly to prevent excessive heat / wear and tear on your brakes when going steeply downhill or downhill for a prolonged period of time. It does regen the battery but my understanding is that it is less efficient to use B-mode and is not recommended to use it if your only purpose is to regen the battery. The hybrid system already does a great job with maximizing battery efficiency in normal drive mode and it's not as efficient to force top it up. Unless maybe there are some specific hypermiler tricks?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car is able to slow in three different ways.

One way uses the friction brakes, installed at all four wheels.

Both other ways use the two driving wheels, producing power in the transmission, and there are two things the car can do with that power. It can be sent to the battery for charging, or it can be used to twirl the engine at a higher RPM, just as a way to get rid of the energy.

If the battery reaches full charge, then all of the recovered energy after that has to be twirled off in the engine. Otherwise, it's not an either/or choice, and the car can do some balance of both.

There is not a single thing the car does in B mode that it doesn't also do in other modes, but B mode changes the balance. In particular, it changes two things;

• It recovers power a little more aggressively overall, when you lift your foot from the go pedal. That makes it feel the same way downshifting to a lower gear feels in other cars.
    • As for what it does with the recovered power, it shifts the balance a little more toward twirling off in the engine, a little less toward charging the battery. The engine twirling makes it also sound the way downshifting sounds in other cars, and the smaller portion used for charging treats the battery a little more gently.

For most brief slowing and stopping, or short downhills, etc., it is more efficient to be in D, because more of the recovered energy will be saved in the battery. Twirling it off in the engine just wastes it.

On the other hand, on a long downhill, you're probably going to reach full charge for the battery part-way down anyway, and all the energy will have to be twirled off in the engine the rest of the way down. Since you can't avoid wasting that extra energy anyway, you can select B at the top of the downhill, and start wasting it a little earlier, while charging the battery more slowly and easily.

On a long enough downhill, you still end up with a full charge in the battery by the end, but with less stress on the battery.

Bobo99 and mountaineer like this.
  4. Numtini

Numtini Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    There's a "CHG" area on the speedo which it will drop down to if you're coasting and if you brake lightly. That's how you want to maximize regen--long slow stops where you keep the gauge in that space. Once you go past it, you're braking with actual physical brakes.

5. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I wish it had more room though, anything more than an extremely gentle braking sends it over the line. I've trained myself to start braking way early when approaching a stop sign or stop light because it takes quite a while to come to a full stop using only the regen braking, especially going even slightly downhill it seems nearly impossible. I can see why people would be tempted to use B-mode because in B-mode you don't have to pay attention to that gauge. But I guess it's still better just to have a light foot in regular drive mode

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    B mode reduces regeneration and diverts energy mechanically to the gas engine (forces it to spin without burning fuel) so that you can descend long hills without burning up your regular service brakes.

Regen is reduced because it might be a big hill- the idea is to allow a longer duration of regen before the battery is filled.

Energy is diverted into the engine because that's the next best way to dissipate it, saving your actual brakes to be the last chance.

Yep, that's about right.

If you think about it, pretty much any other method of charging a battery involves leaving it on the charger for a significant amount of time. One of the big engineering challenges facing a hybrid is how to recapture energy that can be generated very quickly (stomp the pedal) but can only be stored at a fairly slow rate.

Getting the driver involved to help manage that timing goes a long way towards efficiency.

mountaineer likes this.
  7. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    TBH, I use B mode only while going down some long, steep, hill as I do not have to push break pedal all that hard or all that often.
    Does it regen more in B mode compared to simply using break pedal? Probably not. Is it more comfortable down the hill? You bet.

I was able to put 41%->66% back in battery while going down really long hill (PHV 2021). It was in B mode, I tried it in D mode as well, but my foot started to ache in the end (engine never kicked off) .

8. Chimera1978

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks for the replies. I think I get it now. And the regenerative braking only charges the traction battery not the EV battery, correct? I'm trying to use EV mode as exclusively as possible and trying to maximize efficiency while doing so.

9. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should the Prime generally not fair much better as:
    1. It has a bigger emotor, thus should be able to brake (=create power) harder?
    2. It has a bigger battery, thus should be able to store energy at a higher rate?

10. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really sure if you got it as EV battery is the traction battery :)

Bobo99 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is just one battery. The displays may change when switching between EV and hybrid mode, but it is physically the same battery.

B mode is there to give the driver a downshift option for controlling speed. If you didn't feel the need to downshift on your trips in another car, you'll be fine not using B. In the Prime, it does increase the regen braking level. However, when the charge nears full, it will spin up the engine. While the braking function doesn't use gas, spinning the engine means it came on to the system. So it will keep the engine on to go through the warm up sequence, using fuel, even if you shift out of B.

#11 Trollbait, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    JoeBlack likes this.
  12. Chimera1978

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks - the manual is confusing because it refers to the traction battery as the hybrid battery, which implies to me there is a different battery for EV mode, but I guess they aren't using the word "hybrid" in the context of hybrid electric operation.

Another question: there is a light on the HUD for EV Mode and another one that is just EV. Once in a while I have seen where the EV Mode light is on but not the EV light. What is the difference? Welhy would the EV light every be off while in EV Mode?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure how much #1 comes into play.

Spot on with #2. Bigger battery that supports higher charging rates = easier energy recovery, more able to make use of regenerative braking.

#13 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    AndersOne likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pretty sure, the Prime motor is the same power rating as the hybrid; the gen4 was. The difference in the Prime from the hybrid is a clutch that allows M/G1 to contribute traction power when needed. I don't think that clutch was needed for it to be used for regen. It just isn't, because the battery is the limiting factor to regen rate.

For #2, I think it is the number of cells in the battery. Each one can only take in so much energy at a time. Go over it, and the charging will cause degradation; mostly from heat. There is a whole more cells in the PEHV battery.

I think they copy and paste much from the hybrid manual for the PHEV one. The software in the Prime is built upon the hybrid's. That EV light is likely a hold over from the hybrid. It is probably disabled while the Prime is in EV mode.

15. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    For what it's worth, I had a shop foreman tell me not to mess with the "B" gear unless I had to. The implication was that it causes more wear and tear on components compared to "D".

16. Numtini

Numtini Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    As silly as it seems, the EV light in active in EV mode. It's almost always on, but once I switched from HV to EV mode on the highway and it took about a minute for the motor to stop and the EV light to go on.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I guess that's technically true, but I think it is more useful to say that safely descending long hills puts more wear and tear on components than coasting on flat ground.

Preebee likes this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, I think his point was: to only use it when it's designed to be used - during extended downhill runs where your brakes are gonna get hot.

19. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    There's a selection in the settings on both the HEV and PHEV that allow you to turn the EV light off.