1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

B Gear

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by johan314, Nov 20, 2012.

1. johan314

johan314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I accidentally drove my 2008 Prius at B Gear at freeway speeds for a few minutes. I noticed it after the burning tire kind of smell and switched to D right away. The car seems to be driving fine now, but is it possible that I damaged something?

Thanks
    Johan

2. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It is not really a low gear. It is just an input to the computer. It is perfectly OK to drive at 60 MPH with the "B" setting. That is within the range of intended usage. I use it sometimes on some steep hills at highway speed.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There shouldn't be a burning smell but as far as we know, it's just an electronic position to tell the computers to put the engine in a more aggressive engine braking state (so when you lift off, you'll feel more drag as the engine pumps the pistons, just like you would if you were in a lower gear in a regular car).

4. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coming down NC mountain hills, I'm often in B at 70mph (was today!) - no harm done, no worries. Enjoy!

BlackBerry 9930 ?